Google And Misleading Poorly Placed Ads On Our Articles

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (14 posts)
  1. chef-de-jour profile image97
    chef-de-jourposted 15 months ago

Google's EEAT (Experience, Expertise, Authoritativeness and Trustworthiness) is an interesting acronym because it places emphasis on Trust  - is the page/site trustworthy? Google ranks pages and sites by applying the EEAT test to each page and site.

According to a SEJ article I read recently, Google places TRUST above everything else. The writer may be excellent, the information spot on, the authority without doubt but is the page to be trusted?
    My question would be - Can Google's algorithm updates distinguish between ads such as the Recommended For You headlines below our HP articles and the main content?

I've been reading this:

https://static.googleusercontent.com/me … elines.pdf

It gives specific detail about EEAT and subjects like Lowest Page Quality Assessment. It also focuses on ads, and how they're placed.
    On page 30 you'll find this:

Lowest Page Quality Assessment Any one of the following is justification for Lowest
    Quality of the MC ● The page is hacked, defaced, or spammed.
    ● The page is gibberish or otherwise makes no sense.
    ● The MC is copied, auto-generated, or otherwise created without
    adequate effort.
    ● The MC is created with so little effort, originality, talent, or skill
    that the page fails to achieve its purpose.
    The title of the page The page title is extremely misleading, shocking, or exaggerated.
    The role of Ads and SC on the page The MC is deliberately obstructed or obscured due to Ads, SC,
    interstitial pages, download links or other content that is beneficial to
    the website owner but not necessarily the website visitor.

It's quite clear and plain. With ads interrupting text, Google gives lowest quality page ranking.
    Am I being naive or does this fact suggest that this is the reason our traffic and earnings are declining at a rate of knots?

I'm working my way through the 176 pages. Trustworthiness is mentioned 170 times.

2. PaulGoodman67 profile image94
    PaulGoodman67posted 15 months ago

Good luck with that! Haha!

Googlespeak is hard work!

I tend to read SE Roundtable translations or Matt Diggity's interpretations on YouTube.

chef-de-jourposted 15 months agoin reply to this

Right. War and Peace is my next read! Then it's Waiting For Godot.

But what little I have read regarding EEAT proves to me the fallacy of the current ads regime here on HP.

1. PaulGoodman67 profile image94
        PaulGoodman67posted 15 months agoin reply to this

Ah, so it's already confirmed a belief that you strongly held beforehand! wink

This isn't an easy read. It's page by page torture. There won't be a fairy tale ending is my guess.

Page 50 basically repeats page 30:

https://hubstatic.com/16313309_f1024.jpg

3. eugbug profile image96
    eugbugposted 15 months ago

"As far as Google’s algorithm is concerned, it sounds like there are no hard signals in place to measure a publisher’s E-A-T."

https://www.searchenginejournal.com/how … 965/#close

Well, the text of googleusercontent pdf is open to different interpretation, the language being consciously vague and ambiguous, that's why many sites like searchenginejournal can spin their own version of events so to speak.

Bottom line is, no online journalist or individual knows how the algorithm  system really works, how the final rankings are made following an update.

As veteran writers we can only go by our own experiences and ranking results and of late they're in a slump. You might say in a dangerous decline. Reading the google document, between the lines, I think it's clear that the HP ads regime at present has to be detrimental. Google is labelling our pages as lowest quality.

I'd loved to be proven wrong - if HP experimented with a text-first approach on some articles, say for six months, and gave us the feedback and stats, objective facts, I'd be a lot happier. Having to guess and speculate and complain is becoming tedious.

Yet I'm writing fresh articles. I'll never leave because things could get fixed and the lights come back on, and the flag Writer's Paradise be raised again! Yeh, some hope.

2. Glenn Stok profile image97
      Glenn Stokposted 15 months agoin reply to this

The hard signals to follow to ensure E-A-T are easier to understand here (even though it doesn't mention E-A-T):

https://hubpages.com/help/hub_hop_table#informational

I always try to achieve 10 on that scale.

1. PaulGoodman67 profile image94
        PaulGoodman67posted 15 months agoin reply to this

That's a great table!

It sounds basic and old-fashioned, but I think that a key way to boost an article's credibility is still to get links from sites that Google respects. Your reputation is enhanced by their reputation.

The recent Google updates haven't changed that. If anything, it might be more important.

1. Glenn Stok profile image97
          Glenn Stokposted 15 months agoin reply to this

Yes, it is more important. But it's not easy getting incoming links from credible sites. One can't ask for it. It just happens when it happens. smile

1. eugbug profile image96
            eugbugposted 15 months agoin reply to this

That's true. If people wrote newspaper articles about network sites, would it give them some authority? Hubpages don't ever seem to do any marketing or advertising as far as I can see, apart from shares on social media. Also there's no Wikipedia articles about the network sites, but they can't be created unless a site is determined by Wikipedia to be "notable".

4. Solaras profile image94
    Solarasposted 15 months ago

Not just the Ads, which are egregious, but the PetNews on Pethelpful  is appalling.

I dare you to click on this link and read it.  It will cost you a mere 33 seconds of your life to read it. Sorry to the author, but this slow loading page, and their are thousands of them now, drag the entire site down by epic failures of EEAT.

"The MC is created with so little effort, originality, talent, or skill
    that the page fails to achieve its purpose.

The title of the page The page title is extremely misleading, shocking, or exaggerated."

https://pethelpful.com/pet-news/puppy-playdate-no-show

This is sick, and all of these pages need to be removed or substantially revamped.  Who ever thought this was a good idea? It is ruinous. The lowest quality pages, and they are legion.

If it's a conscious decision to undermine our work by adding such dross then there has to be, I'm guessing, some decision from somewhere up high in the Arena clouds that repeats 'Keep HP pages low'.

If it's ignorance (of Google's page quality assessment EEAT) then what are we to think?

1. Solaras profile image94
        Solarasposted 15 months agoin reply to this

They have a "newsletter" attached to it, so silly people can sign up for wholesome, heartbreaking videos that are just too cute, and have everybody crying..

Grab your Kleenex. It's a cash grab for short term income, at the expense of the Pethelpful author pages.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)