Need advice!

Jump to Last Post 1-26 of 26 discussions (46 posts)
  1. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 14 years ago

I need help. My earnings suck, even with all the hubs I have. Let me tell you what I've already done on my own:

- written hubs with original content
    - researched SEO and keywords before writing and made sure they were included in my hubs
    - read advice hubs by Mark Knowles, Sunforged, Darkside, Maddie Rudd, Nelle Hoxie, and others
    - added pics and videos when appropriate
    - linked my hubs together
    - added backlinks
    - asked for help/advice from Paul D. but haven't gotten a response yet

I don't know what else to do! Nelle was nice enough to look at one of my commercially slanted hubs, and she said I didn't need to change anything about it. I don't expect to make money from my funny stories or recipes, but I have a lot of well researched hubs that should have high paying ads.

I'm not blaming HP - I'm sure I'm doing something wrong, but I just can't figure out what it is. Anyone willing to help a sista out??

2. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

Added backlinks looks quite funny. How many? Five? wink

Seriously Habee, if you want to start making money during this life, you have to get serious about backlinks. There is no way around. smile

3. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 14 years ago

Misha, how many backlinks should each hub have? Ballpark?

4. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

The more the merrier, especially if you are trying to rank for anything competitive. smile

1. livewithrichard profile image72
      livewithrichardposted 14 years agoin reply to this

He's right, especially if you are trying to rank with a competitive keyword. 5 won't cut it.  100 might get you close, it all depends on the competition.

5. Susana S profile image94
    Susana Sposted 14 years ago

Habee - Where are your hubs on the serps for your keyphrases? This site has some great tools for checking that as well as loads of other stuff http://www.searchbliss.com/seo-tools/se … -check.php

I've been using google insights in conjunction with the keyword tool to find rising searches, as well as google's wonderwheel. The 3 together are helping me find some great keyphrases with low competition.

1. Ivorwen profile image65
      Ivorwenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That looks like a great tool, Susana.

2. searchbliss profile image60
      searchblissposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hey Susana,
      Thanks for the backlink to SearchBliss. I'm glad you enjoy our tools!

6. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 14 years ago

Thanks, Susana! I'll check it out.

7. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 14 years ago

Habee what's your traffic like?

8. Ohma profile image60
    Ohmaposted 14 years ago

So just out of curiosity how in the world do you get 100 backlinks I facebook twitter blog and my own web site but that is basically the only way I know what am I missing?

9. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

I am finishing a hub on this smile

1. habee profile image93
      habeeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Misha, when do you think your hub will be published?? I anxiously await!

10. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 14 years ago

Hi, Nelle. I get about 600-900 views a day.

I just started my own blogsite, and I'm posting links to my appropriate hubs. Is this a good idea??

Also, I've been visiting sites that ask specific questions and answering them, adding a link to an appropriate hub at the end. Is this a good idea??

Thanks!!

1. Misha profile image63
      Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

First one is, second one not so much - it takes too much time (if I understood correctly what you are doing - taking some kind of survey in exchange for backlink) smile

11. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

Hopefully tomorrow smile

1. Ohma profile image60
      Ohmaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Misha I cant wait! anyway to get an advance copy? wink

1. Misha profile image63

It's finally up, so no need for advanced copy. Sorry for delay smile

1. prettydarkhorse profile image64
          prettydarkhorseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

waiting for Mishas hub-thank you,

habee, I have 1100 to 1300 a day for my page views, just being lazy to backlink I will start soon, thanks for the response of people here as well
          BTW your hubs are informational and well written as well like YOSHI said -- maybe time is a factor --

1. Misha profile image63

LOL Pretty, thank you, and I guess I was not clear enough - I published it, no more need to wait, just go read it. smile

12. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 14 years ago

No, not surveys. For example, if someone asks a question on a dog site about Great Danes, I provide a short answer and a link to a hub about Great Danes that answers the specific question in detail.

13. profile image0
    PrettyPantherposted 14 years ago

I have no answers, but I just want to say that in the two months I have been here I have been in awe of your productivity and the quality of the hubs.  Amazing!

14. blondepoet profile image66
    blondepoetposted 14 years ago

I seriously don't understand why Habee you have a trillion times more than me, mine are only at 38, I haven't begun to explore backlinks too yet I got a great cheque in the mail the other day, was delirious. I dearly hope that all of a sudden they start taking off for you, you have put heaps of work into them, and you are a bonza writer.

1. habee profile image93
      habeeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Good for you, BP!

But see, this is what I'm talking about. Blondepoet hasn't even backlinked her 38 hubs, and she's making good money. I have 400+ and I backlink, yet I'm not making good money. There's some integral ingredient that I'm missing somewhere.

1. Jeffrey Neal profile image68
        Jeffrey Nealposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Time.

It's one thing I see long-term hubbers with less hubs than even me mention in conjunction with all of the other advice.

1. yoshi97 profile image56
          yoshi97posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Absolutely ... time is the broth that helps cook the stew. A good hub needs a few months to cook. I know some of my September hubs are just starting to monetize and when they kicked in I was in awe, as I thought they would flounder forever.

Plant your tulips and wait for them to grow - and they will in time.

Also, be wary of highly competitive keywords. I use a program called Micro Niche Finder and I swear by it, as it tracks SOC (strength of competition) and everything I worth about with an SOC of four or less has always panned out cash for me on adsense. Now, we're not talking $100 a day, but someone who writes enough hubs could approach some nice pocket change.

I wrote a hub that gives an overview on the program so you can see if it will help or you could just Google it and read their info on their site.

Just hang in there Habee ... We'll get you upright in the pond, it just takes time.

Another thing to know is that (typically) a 100 page views on monetized hubs should net you something back. If not, then you need to see if the material is too brief. Regardless of what others have said in the past, 400 words isn't enough to grab someone's attention. You want around 1000.

And Misha ... if someone picks a low competition keyword phrase they only need a few backlinks. All of my hubs have a twitter link, a facebook link, and a Myspace link, and I'm rating high on all of the keywords I researched (for articles written several months ago).

Building backlinks is very good, but it's far better to fish in a pond where fifty lines aren't being cast in along with yours, negating the need for so many backlinks.

I'm not saying you're wrong about backlinks, as you most definitely are not wrong - I'm saying it's far easier to go up against less competition, negating the need for so many backlinks. smile

15. RedElf profile image89
    RedElfposted 14 years ago

Habee, I have read many of your hubs, and the only thing I can see is that though they are original, informational, and often fun, quite a few are on the shorter side. I didn't read all 414 (WOW!), but I booed through about a quarter.

Google likes lots of words, and I can tell you from personal experience that my shorter hubs don't do nearly as well as the longer ones. I used to aim for 500 - 800 words, but of the hubs I write now, the short ones are 800, and most are at least 1200 words, or longer.

Hope this helps.
    big_smile

16. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 14 years ago

Red Elf, I think the one I wrote today was about 2,000 words. My recipe hubs are short - 300-400 words, but I don't expect to make money from them, anyway.

Maybe you read some of my older hubs, which are shorter. On my serious hubs, I aim for at least 800 words. So you're saying I should bump them up to 1200, huh? I can do that!

17. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 14 years ago

Another case in point: thisisoli says he hardly bothers with backlinks at all, yet he makes good money here.

1. Faybe Bay profile image64
      Faybe Bayposted 14 years agoin reply to this

skyfire writes a lot about getting traffic

18. profile image0
    wordscribe41posted 14 years ago

Yoshi, how do you think Micro Niche Finder compares to Market Samurai (which I don't love)?

1. Jeffrey Neal profile image68
      Jeffrey Nealposted 14 years agoin reply to this

What don't you like about MS? I have used both and prefer it to MNF.  Both are very good paid tools, though, with great support. Just my own opinion...I know you were asking for yoshi's. smile

1. profile image0
        wordscribe41posted 14 years agoin reply to this

No, I appreciate your opinion definitely.  It had performance problems for me, was slow, repetitively didn't load data...  Just found it user-UNfriendly.  Probably just me and my PC, though.  Had a trial version while I did Ed Dale's 30 day challenge...

2. yoshi97 profile image56

Market Samarai is great, provided your PC likes it. It seems not to like my computer, but I think it's more of an XP thing, as I have read it works great for Vista users, but is real slow for XP users, such as myself. Still, it's a great tool and the responses are worth waiting for.

Currently, I use Market Samarai to find good keyword phrases and then I dump those into Micro Niche Finder to determine how competitive those keyword phrases are.

I won't lie to you ... just shooting in the dark with Micro Niche Finder is a lot of work. That's why I prefer to use Market Samarai to find the keywords and then use MNF to determine their worth - and MNF has never done me wrong in that respect.

So, I suppose I recommend both, but I say (hands down) the competitional analysis (SOC) in MNF is worth its weight in gold and if I could only own one of the two products, I would definitely own MNF.

What sold me on MNFwas going back through my older hubs and seeing that all of the ones getting the payoffs were all low in SOC. And you can get the same info from Market Samarai, but it takes a bit of digging and each dig takes a horrendous amount of time on my XP system.

I also did a write up on Market Samarai, by the way, which provides some good info on that product, so people can look at them head to head.

Just remember ... the secret to a good keyword phrase are:

1)  a decent amount of traffic
      2)  low competition
      3)  a decent payout from Adsense

Also, never fool yourself into believing that 300 words on a keyword phrase means *you* will get 300 words if you rank #1 on that phrase. It's just simply not true, and I have several #1s to prove it.

Also, being 7th or 8th for a word does not equate to 'no income' either. The front page is your aim, and the higher the better. smile

19. profile image0

Thanks for that, yoshi.  Yes, I'm an XP user as well... it makes more sense now.  Crap and double crap.  I was hoping to avoid having both. Why so hard to find keywords with MNF?  Nevermind, I'll go read the hubs.

MNF is all about a guessing game where you put in a word and hope to mine some gold. However, sometimes you put in a few words and out pop some mighty tasty nuggets. smile

That's why Market Samarai is great, as it looks for those nuggets to pump through MNF, but I was doing alright at finding them before I started using MS. You just need to be patient and try several variations on a phrase that could work.

Also, MNF has filters (they just added them) that help immensely! I filter out any phrase under 3 words, any ad cost under .50, and any phrase with under 300 local search count. That seems to get rid of most of the ribble, allowing me to focus on checking for the good stuff.

From there I set it to automatically check the SOC for each keyword and kill off the ones over four and then I check the exact phrase count for what remains and kill off any higher than 100,000. From there, it's a matter of sifting through what might be left and finding the best fruit - lowest SOC, lowest exact phrase count, highest local search count, and then highest ad cost - in that order.

From there, I find a gem about 33% of the time (1 in 3 searches), and that's without using MS first. When using MS first I up that percentage to about 80%.

For those who think MNF lacks power they either used it before they recently updated to the filters or they never understood just how useful the filters can be (an easy thing to do, as I was confused by them at first as well). Filters allow you to do in a few minutes what used to take a few hours. smile

20. wyanjen profile image71
    wyanjenposted 14 years ago

I'm supposed to be sleeping, but I have a question that drives me crazy and I can't seem to find an answer.
    I'm having a similar problem to habee, except I'm still playing on beginner level...
    Is it correct, or is it bad, to use the phrase "how to" or "what is a ____" in a tag?
    I have a decent idea of what a long tail key word is, but I'm not clear on whether to use a general phrase like that.

smile

An excellent question ...

As for an answer ... it's a bit complex. You see, sometimes others think the same way and overuse these phrases along with other words, negating them as good keyword phrases. Heck sometimes just adding or removing the letter 's' from a word can have an effect.

So, writing about 'how to fix a lawn mower' might be a dud, but fixing lawn mowers might be a winner ... though I doubt it ... didn't look that one up .. hehe

The real scoop is this ... If 'fixing lawn mowers' is a winner then adding words to the beginning or end won't truly affect your earnings either way. However, if 'help with fixing lawn mowers' is a better phrase then you won't profit as much titling your hub 'fixing lawn mowers' as you would titling it 'help with fixing lawn mowers'.

The sad reality of internet marketing is it's all based on finding a niche that hasn't been thoroughly exploited yet. The good news ... there's millions of them ... but finding them by poke and hope is probably not going to pan out.

That's why we use tools like the Google Keyword Finder, MS, and MNF to lean the playing field over in our direction. By establishing what phrases people are looking up, how much those phrases are paying, and how competitional they are, we can set ourselves up with a nice little money maker three months down the road with little more effort than writing an article with a good keyword and performing very basic backlinking - Twitter, Myspace, and Facebook - and you can link all three through Twitter so you need only share it with Twitter and then have it automatically shared with all three, allowing you more time to write - and that's a good thing. smile

And not all keyphrases are a sure bet ... Some will hit the front page, get lots of hits, and yet - no clicks. This is the nature of things and one you must accept. Regardless of what you do, some keywords just won't pay out. But take heart ... when you do find a keyphrase that works well, roll around it for other keyphrases, as you have found yourself a niche.

So, if you strike it good on bass fishing lures, check into trout fishing lured, catfish fishing lures, etc.

But the most important part is to research your articles to make certain you are giving our correct info. In fact, when writing my articles I verify with several sites to be certain I'm on the mark (and still miss some times). And if I find several sites in disagreement on something I research to find out the truth as having that will set your article apart from the others.

A good example is one of my pet med hubs, where I found that a common pet med could cause seizures. Well, I wanted no part in causing someone's pet to have a seizure, so I posted the dangers involved with the med and it's been a hit!

And going back to missing an important fact ... I wrote another hub on a pet med and said it was safe for cats (I even verified this). However, someone called me out on the carpet and said the med was very dangerous for cats, and so, I dug deeper and found it was a covered up fact - and so, I added that info to my hub and the hits grew bigger - as did my place on the Google ladder for that keyword.

By offering the best info available you will create a following outside of Hubpages. And while I love my fellow hubbers (with all of my heart) those outsiders pay the bills, which is why I listen very intently to what they have to say - to the point that I will totally revise a hub if they provide me new info not previously available to me.

So, a general phrase won't hurt ya, but you really need to research your core keyword phrase to see if it's a winner - or one for the throwback bin. smile

2. Susana S profile image94
      Susana Sposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I know you've already had a superb answer from Yoshi, but I just wanted to say that one of my hubs that gets a lot of traffic has the title "How soon can you tell if you are pregnant" That is the keyhrase and it's very long, but it happens to be exactly the question a lot of people are pumping into the google search box, so it comes up at number 1.

21. profile image0

Thanks again, yoshi.  I just REALLY wish MNF had a free trial version so I could test before purchasing.  That 80% is mighty impressive.  I'm sick of all the research, it's such a waste of time, and ultimately money.  That's it, I'm getting it.

22. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 14 years ago

Thanks, everyone, for your help! I really do appreciate it. And Yoshi, you've definitely given me hope. I wondered about the time factor, but I'm glad you pointed it out.

1. profile image0
      wordscribe41posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm just now seeing much more cash at a month longer than you.  I don't backlink much AT ALL.  I do EZine, which REALLY helps.  Some I haven't backlinked at all and are doing well.  Thanks for the topic.

23. wyanjen profile image71
    wyanjenposted 14 years ago

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-signs153.gif

I have been taking a crack at the Google AdWords: Keyword Tool.

I found a keyword about a topic that I was planning to do. It seemed like a higher paying word, with a lower amount of searches. But, the hub is not performing well enough that I can see whether I'm on the right track. I'm assuming because it is a niche area, and also I think I did my KW tagging wrong. I patched that up a little, this weekend. smile
    My current project is to edit the hubs I wrote when I was new, to improve them for key words and ad placement.
    The advice that you gave to my astronomer friend really clicked on some light bulbs for me.
    I will wait for a few weeks to see what the results may be...

24. Bill Manning profile image68
    Bill Manningposted 14 years ago

If you really need to start making some money online, with all due respect to hubpages, I would go to other places that pay you a flat fee per article.

Hubpages is a nice place if you want to write a lot and don't care too much about money. But for anyone wanting to really make money online, there are many more better ways to do it.

I work full time online and places like this are more for fun. Yes once you have 100 hubs 6 months old you'll see money.

But you can make double what you'll see in 6 months here in two weeks elsewhere. I'm not bashing hubpages, I'm just telling it like it is.

If you wrote for demand studios you could make a grand a week. Dozens of other places you can make from 400 to 700 bucks a week.

So if you don't need the money right now, keep making hubs. But if you really are in a bind, look at all the other places. Sharing affiliate clicks is the worst way to make money online.

25. Dao Hoa profile image60
    Dao Hoaposted 14 years ago

Habee, thanks for the post and thanks to everyone for the answers. I have learnt a lot from this thread.

Thanks Bill.

Thank you all.

26. harryinc profile image59
    harryincposted 14 years ago

Even if you have 400 + Hub Pages, there will be only a few which can earn you good money. You need to look at the stats and see which ones are earning good money. Then try and popularize them by directory submission, forums etc.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)