Trying to work out if HubPages is right for me

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (12 posts)
  1. profile image59
    MichaelAtkinsPrescottposted 5 weeks ago

I host a weekly radio show, and I post playlists online every week. Currently they’re posted on Tumblr, but the more I’m on Tumblr, the more it feels like it’s just not a site for adults.

I’m worried that a site like HubPages might view a list of songs as low-quality content.

I have given up on social media for reasons I won’t bore you with, so I have no social network I can leverage. The advantage of Tumblr is that there is a community of people just browsing, who can happen upon my posts. That’s important too. On Tumblr, each post was worth a few likes, comments, shares and new follows.

It would be perfect if it weren’t for all the Supernatural fan art.

The potential to monetise is great, but I don’t care about monetising it just yet. I volunteer at the station, and it’s non-profit, so I think there might be ethical concerns with monetising what I do there. But I am a writer, and I am hoping that if I can get a following, I can use it to promote my writing and other content. Then I might think about monetising.

So, what I need is…

-lots of leeway regarding what I post.
    -an active community of people who might stumble across my posts.
    -potential for monetisation, but options regarding what I do and do not monetise.

1. Solaras profile image95
      Solarasposted 5 weeks agoin reply to this

This is not likely to be the platform for you.  This is not an active community, we rely on SEO to bring in readers. 

You would need to make interesting, relevant comments about the music on your lists, new ones each week in order to lure readers. The content must address information on the music that people are searching for, and be unique and informative.

Check out Spinditty.com that is where music articles reside here.  You may find another route to accomplish what you would like to do with your lists. 

You might look at using Reddit and asking a question to the readers for them to answer regarding your list.  Like - Here are this weeks top whatever - do you think soandso is a quality artist compared to soandso on this list.  Then people may want to weigh in.  Many of the niche sites here don't even allow for comments.

1. profile image59
        MichaelAtkinsPrescottposted 5 weeks agoin reply to this

I think I have HubPages all wrong, then… from what you say, I agree, HubPages wouldn’t be the place for this. But those niche sites sound like places for my writing content.

2. Kenna McHugh profile image91
      Kenna McHughposted 5 weeks agoin reply to this

HP frowns upon self-promotion, such as your radio station and playlists. You can place a link to the radio station in your profile. I would read the guidelines to determine if HP is for you.

1. eugbug profile image96
        eugbugposted 5 weeks agoin reply to this

I've never understood why sites don't like self-promotion. Is it because they think it results in competition or it's considered spam and causes issues with Google? Similarly with Facebook groups. I allow some moderated self-promotion on my Facebook group. Meanwhile, we're still not allowed to place donation buttons on articles.

1. profile image59

Spam, I think.

When Chief Twit bought Twitter, and everyone was looking into alternatives, I tried one called Post. The idea was that you could monetise your posts. So every post was “please like, comment, and subscribe for my thoughts on pierogis (coming soon).” There was no actual content.

That’s why I don’t want to monetise until I have a following. IMO, promotion has to be within content, like a little link at the bottom of the page and some good SEO, or else everything turns into promotion.

It’s a crowded field, one must promote as much as possible, so platforms that don’t want to be all promotion all the time have to curb it.

1. eugbug profile image96
            eugbugposted 5 weeks agoin reply to this

I've got 40 original articles, some with links, on a blog and several months down the line, Google still haven't indexed them or even indexed the home page. Facebook have also blocked it, claiming it's spam.

1. profile image59

Sites like Facebook are over cautious, and it sucks.

In the olden days, you wrote, and if you got published, then the publisher would take care of promotion. We don’t have publishers any more, we have platforms that do less while expecting us to do more. And as long as we have to be our own promoters in an environment where promotion is increasingly not tolerated, these things will happen.

It’s a bit like being an advertiser in a world where everyone has ad blockers. You gotta understand that no one likes ads, but getting ads in front of people is your job, but the more you push ads, the stronger the ad blockers get. It’s an impossible situation.

And as for Google’s indexing, having everything depend on one of the world’s largest corporation’s opaque algorithms that keep changing makes me very nervous. Don’t get me started on that.

2. daydreams profile image94
    daydreamsposted 5 weeks ago

I think Medium or Substack sounds more like what you are looking for than Hubpages.

Hubpages is not about building a following and there's a lot of quality control to get content published.

1. profile image59

Good to hear Medium being suggested. I considered it, but they don’t have a community forum that I can ask questions like this to. And their weird monetisation system makes it sound like they bury content that’s not monetised.

Then again, it does also suggest they have an active community of browsers.

3. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 5 weeks ago

I would agree hubpages is not a good match.  It sounds like you want a platform that is popular across age groups, with a userbase but also accessible to anyone online.

Depending on who your key audiences are I think that would be a Facebook page on professional mode, Instagram or possibly Reddit.

4. paolaenergya profile image91
    paolaenergyaposted 5 weeks ago

Probably a good combo could be to have a Substack newsletter with an embedded Spotify playlist, you could have a paid version so that people subscribe monthly or annually to access your content; you could also have some posts that are free and some that are paid.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)