what is a good off page optimization in SEO?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (8 posts)
  1. easypr profile image58
    easyprposted 11 years ago

Good off page optimization are submit your website in quality sites. After penguin update google not like the quantity of work, they only likes quality work. So quality is main in SEO off page.

2. ftclick profile image56
    ftclickposted 11 years ago

and diversify those links to quality sites. Optimize for the user, not the search engines

3. Greekgeek profile image78
    Greekgeekposted 11 years ago

The good news is that if you're writing on a site like Hubpages that gets crawled often, you actually don't need any off-page SEO to rank. You need good on-page SEO.

It's what's ON your page that's most important:
    -- focused on one topic
    -- useful, effective, covers it well
    -- uses the specific language that your readers use to search for the topic
    -- includes links to useful, relevant tools, resources, or related content that is helpful or interesting to readers
    -- well-written, well-organized, engaging
    --Answers a question, solves a problem, or fulfills a reader need -- even if that need is simply, "entertain me."

Once you've gotten comfortable incorporating those on-page SEO factors, then, sure, try your hand at some off-page SEO. But I personally wouldn't recommend using social media for backlinking.

To quote an SEO industry professional from 2008:

That was in 2008, and it's even more true now. (The rest of the post is even more abrasive, but has a lot of wisdom nonetheless.)

Guestbook link-dropping is a personal pet peeve of mine. The main thing we accomplish by dropping links in guestbooks is to antagonize other experts who write in our niche so that they won't link to us and won't visit our site.They certainly won't let the link stand, so why annoy them? Or, worse, clumsy guestbook link-droppers target unmoderated, unrelated websites, which Google's Penguin update is going to penalize as link spam.

But here's a few off-page SEO practices that really may help and won't honk off the very people  whom you want to visit your site:

-- Cross-link your OWN content: links from different pages on the same site, or links from pages you've published on other sites. Only link to your own content if it's relevant to the topic at hand and useful to your readers. For example, if I'm writing on the Mars Curiosity Rover, then I'll link to my old page about earlier Mars missions. Search engines are trying to reward relevant content that matches what their users are looking for, so try to link to relevant content that your readers might be looking for.

-- Use Hubpages Groups! Create groups on the topics you write most about in your profile settings. Then, when creating a new hub in that niche, choose the groups tab hidden in the sidebar near "summary" and pick its group. This immediately establishes two crosslinks, to the next and previous hubs in the group.

-- Claim your Google authorship. Do it now. Glen Stok and I both have tutorials on Google Authorship for hubpages...Google it. Those tutorials will show you why this is important.

-- Check your old hubs' traffic stats to see what search terms bring traffic to them most often. Then SEARCH for those terms in Google and see how your hub looks. (Google site:yourname.hubpages.com search term to find it). Look at the excerpt that Google displays for your hub. Is it well-written? Engaging? Does it show that the page covers search term? That excerpt is the "bait" that will draw Google users to your site. You have one second to make a good impression ... make it count.

-- Set up a page somewhere -- your own website, Google Plus, a Facebook Fan Page (for companies and businesses), even Hubpages -- which is the virtual equivalent of an online business card or elevator pitch. On that page, introduce yourself and link to your best work and your other profiles. Link to that "virtual business card" whenever people or website profiles ask for your main website's address.

-- Establish yourself on some social media site like Twitter, Facebook, Google Plus or Pinterest and get known. The best use of social media is not for direct SEO or backlinking purposes, but so that people will find out about you and learn what you write on. Make a name for yourself, and they'll check out your work. If your work knocks their socks off, then they may share it, or even link to it from their own sites. But remember, you've gotta learn what each social media site is for. They're not primarily for self-promotion, but for communication, responding to others, and sharing things you find interesting. If you only find your own work interesting, chances are, nobody will find YOU interesting. wink

-- Remember that wherever you post, you're establishing a reputation for good or ill. Take the time to use good English and complete sentences (as best you can on a site like Twitter with a character limit).

1. profile image0
      diyomarpandanposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Deleted

1. Sapper profile image64
        Sapperposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It would be if it were accurate. First, that blog post wasn't correct in 2008, and definitely isn't now.

The on-page SEO tips are good writing tips, not SEO tips. They are not one and the same. Good writing is just as important, if not more important than SEO, but that's not the question that was asked.

For the most part, the off-page SEO tips also aren't off-page SEO, at least the first four aren't. Again, good idea's, but not off-page SEO.

One of my blogs was started within a day of my HubPages. On HubPages, I don't build any back-links, mostly because HP is part of my back-link package for my blogs. The particular blog that I started at the same time, that has quite a bit of the same topics for content, is growing 10 times faster than my HP, and my other two main blogs are growing faster than that one. If you think all you have to do is write good content then leave it, you are going to be in for a rude awakening.

http://sapper.hubpages.com/hub/SEO-to-use-or-to-not-use
        That is my latest hub that I posted a few days ago. The main reason I'm linking it here, is for the picture. That is my impressions over the past month, through 2 Panda updates when quite a few people saw a dip in traffic. The picture says two things, I know what I'm talking about, and that back-links are important. The bottom is my HP's, the other three are a few of my blogs that I actually build back-links for.

2. mattforte profile image87
      mattforteposted 11 years ago

2008 is 4 years ago. SEO is *NOTHING* like it was in 2008.
      Notice how that article doesn't reference anything from 2004? There is a reason for that.

SEO is always changing. This is a well known fact. The fact that you honestly just quoted a 2008 article to give SEO advice means that you have a lot to learn about SEO yourself.

And to prove this point - we will talk about social media and SEO.
      Google has over the past year emphasized the role of social media in their algorithms. The update just this last month, they said that social media is now *more important than ever* in Google searches.
      Talk to any SEO expert about their methods, and social media will surely be a part of it. "Private blog networks" utilize social bookmarking and Facebook likes into the system.

This isn't difficult information to find. Just Google "social search rankings" or "google social" or anything along those lines, and you will find TONS of information *post*-2008 that distinctly contradict your advice.
      I don't mean to sound harsh - but honestly, you shouldn't give people advice if you really don't understand the issue yourself, that's how people get led down the wrong path and get discouraged.

To summarize...YES use social media to promote your work. YES publish your work on Twitter, facebook, and social bookmarking. Don't make it look spammy (bookmark other things that interest you as well), but do NOT overlook it. If you've spent any time "link building" and haven't even liked your article on Facebook or pinned it on Pinterest, etc...then you're going about it the wrong way. Social first - backlinking after.

And most importantly, NEVER EVER EVER take advice from 2008. By all means, read old articles (You can learn some elementary SEO basics, and find old ideas that may help spark new ideas) - but the DO's and DON'Ts from then are very different from now.

3. easyarticles profile image57
      easyarticlesposted 11 years ago

Quality is always the main thing off page optimization. Check the websites before you submit your website, Is it not ban by google, To check google ban the site or not simply check the website is cache by google or not. How many pages are index. If google cache the website & index almost all pages then this website is good.

4. Monis Mas profile image72
      Monis Masposted 11 years ago

Thanks for this info! It is awesome - and so helpful!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)