jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (14 posts)

Suggest New Comment Feature...Block I.P. Address

1. Michael Willis profile image78
    Michael Willisposted 7 years ago

Could there be a block I.P. Address added to our hubs in the comment section? I know we can report this, but it would be quicker if we could just block them when they appear on our hubs. Same would go for those who comment and we would rather block anyways. I can't stand wasting my time receiving spam comments.

2. Cagsil profile image60
    Cagsilposted 7 years ago

The IP address is only seen by the Hubber. What is the sense of eliminating it.

Michael Willisposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Block it so they cannot come back!!! lol
      Hey Ray! How are you?

1. Cagsil profile image60
        Cagsilposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Hello Michael. I am doing well. As for blocking the IP address, I do not even think HubPages can do that specifically, simply because IP addresses do change when new servers are used and older servers are eliminated. To constantly ban IP addresses would lead to banning of domains.

That could be an even stickier situation and limit your readers/viewers, in some capacity or another. hmm

Just a thought.

It is just frustrating. lol I have seen post on others going through this. I guess it was just "My Turn" for the spammers.

I guess. I'm not having any issue with them. I keep reporting the ones I find in the forum. I don't get much comments outside of HubPages, but that's okay too. smile

I would guess around 80% of my visitors come from outside Hubpages. I get hubpages views, but not that many. But...I can only make money from those outside HP so I guess I will settle for that.

Well, that is your audience. smile

True. And that is what we are taught here to reach for.  I do participate in the forums, but not nearly as much as others. Nothing against forums...I do read far more than I respond. Just if I have nothing to add, I don't post a comment.
                  Any new hubs the past week?

2. relache profile image87
          relacheposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Actually, admin can block IP addresses and they do.  The reason they are shown to the Hub owner is so that person can more easily identify and report spam or abuse to admin.  Who then handles the situation.

Thanks, that is good to know.

3. Cagsil profile image60
    Cagsilposted 7 years ago

On another note, change your settings for leaving comments. hmm

I have setting for approval. I just noticed an unusual level of hits on a hub that was "out-of-season." Football hub. Went to check out why and found the spam. I liked the number of hits, but it will never be profitable with spammers.

I realize hubs are not good with spammers. I monitor all comments and I must approve them before they can become part of my hub. This way, even spammers cannot post without my knowledge.

Those who leave comments that are not HubPages members, must at least create a name for their comment. I know some Spammers are HubPages members, but that is one of the prices paid for being online and part of the community.

working