jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (10 posts)

WooHoo...Finally! High Speed Internet Coming!

1. Michael Willis profile image79
    Michael Willisposted 7 years ago

As several here know, I have tried and tried to get a High Speed interconnection here where I live.  I called, e-mailed, written letters for a couple of years now. Dial-up sucks! lol

I have seen new cable lines being put up coming from town, but they always stop just at the edge of the small community where I live. This "area" is contracted to a rural cable company I have been told over and over again. (But the rural company does Not provide cable or internet here!!!)

I saw an Orange work bucket-truck in front of the house just a few minutes ago and I went out to ask if this really was "cable and internet." The man assured me that is was "fiber-optics" cable lines they were installing from Sudden Link, which is from the city, not the rural company. 

So...looks like eventually we will Finally be getting in the New Age of Technology here. He did not have a time table, but that is OK, at least I know it is coming. He said the lines they were installing were from the Government Stimulus Funds to provide cable internet and broadband service to rural customers.

Wow, no longer waiting 2-3 minutes for some pages to load? What will I do with the extra time? lolol

2. Uninvited Writer profile image82
    Uninvited Writerposted 7 years ago

Hopefully, you won't have to wait too long. I can't imagine going back to dialup...

Michael Willisposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Thank you. I hope not too long either. I have hi-speed internet when I go to a job, but not at home.  I will call them next week at the local office and see if they have any idea. I know they still have a lot of lines to put up yet.

1. IzzyM profile image87
        IzzyMposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Michael, can't you get 3G access with a dongle? That's what I use. It was either that or a radio phone and dial-up as there are no telephone cables here.
        WTG on the ADSL all the same! Great news smile

It is dial-up or HughesNet. I have a friend who tried Hughesnet and he paid 5 times what I do for dial-up and he said it was very unreliable. It was not nearly as fast as advertised. lol,  Not much faster than the dial-up I had.
          But...at least we are finally getting a reliable hi-speed internet soon.

3. Cagsil profile image59
    Cagsilposted 7 years ago

Happy to hear it for you Michael. smile

I know I sure am. lol  I looked online for Sudden Link and they offer TV/Internet/ and Phone with their service. Says they are 3 x faster than standard DSL and the lines are fiber optic, which will be great.

4. rebekahELLE profile image90
    rebekahELLEposted 7 years ago

that's part of the investment in broadband infrastructure contained in the federal stimulus package. that will be a wonderful asset for millions who don't have it, along with farmers and small business owners in rural areas.
    I imagine you are very excited! I remember when we first had access to FIOS. fiber optics are a wonderful thing.
    smile

I have run fiber optics in construction and it is wonderful for quality.  I kept hearing about the stimulus for rural internet and now it is happening.

5. Money Glitch profile image85
    Money Glitchposted 7 years ago

WOW, I know you are excited Michael. big_smile I can't imagine attempting to load a hub on dial up... Man,I recall those frustrating days. sad

working