My First Hub - South Carolina Peach story

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (17 posts)
  1. J Sunhawk profile image68
    J Sunhawkposted 13 years ago

Any and all critiques welcome.

Just starting out on Hub Pages, so I appreciate all help from you Hub Citizens. (You veteran Hubbers are smart. I feel like I just entered kindergarten.)

Question: Would going to She Told Me and writing up a synopsis of my hub page be a legitimate way to create a backlink?" Or is that a no-no?

My hub is here -

http://hubpages.com/hub/South-Carolina-Peach-Story

Thank you...

1. dutchman1951 profile image60
      dutchman1951posted 13 years agoin reply to this

excelent hub much enjoyed, keep it up

J Sunhawkposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, dutchman1951.

I appreciate all comments from Hub citizens.

Hope to return constructive criticism in kind someday.

Cheers

2. saleheensblog profile image61
    saleheensblogposted 13 years ago

writing is good
    ~add more and better keywords
    ~add some images
    ~split the content in more capsules
    ~where is your comment section? add it.
    **add a profile pics

yes

Hello, saleheensblog

Let me take your critique points one at a time:

Add more and better keywords

I wrote this as a niche hub, targeting people interested in South Carolina peaches. The two keywords I used are "South Carolina peaches" and "peaches." When I try to add more keywords, the two keywords I choose are eliminated. It seems I can only have two keywords, and can't add more. Suggestions?

Add images

I'm trying to figure out text now, and I'll add images later

Split the content

Are my hubs stuffed with too many paragraphs?

Where is my comment section?

Don't know how to do that. If you can direct me to a help section explaining the process, I'd appreciate that.

Thanks for the feedback...

3. ponx profile image81
    ponxposted 13 years ago

Content is fine but you need to add some pictures/videos/links to make it look a little attractive. Else if there is too much text people will not have the patience to read it even though the content may be good.

And yes add the comments section so that hubbers can leave their views. Else how would you know if someone liked reading your hub or not.

Also try to place some text capsules side by side so that it does not become a very long hub.

Last but not the least welcome to HP! smile

Thanks for the welcome, ponx

Your critique on adding pictures is noted, but right now I'm trying to figure out text. And you said "links." That's something I need to figure out. So it all comes back to understanding the text aspect of Hub pages, yes?

As for comments, yes, I need to add a comments section but I'm not sure how to do that.

If you can direct me to a FAQ, I'll do that.

As for adding text capsules side-by-side, I'm still studying that aspect of Hub layout.

Thanks for feedback, ponx.

1. ponx profile image81
        ponxposted 13 years agoin reply to this

In order to place capsules side by side you need to click on the green arrow (in the edit mode) which will move the capsules. This will work for text, photos and all other capsules (links, amazon etc).

The comments section should already be there when you write your hub else you can add it from the "Add more capsules" section. Just click on Comments and it will add a comment capsule below.

Links, again needs to be added in the same way. I just gave an example of a link (it's not mandatory to add one).

But its only to make the hub look more interesting that we add photos, links, videos etc.

I asked you to place the text capsules side by side because you had a lot of text and I needed to scroll a lot. So if you do not have relevant pictures you can always place text capsules side by side.

And you are most welcome smile

4. lrohner profile image68
    lrohnerposted 13 years ago

I think you have done an excellent job, and I am extremely impressed with your writing skills. Oh--and welcome to HubPages! smile

I don't see a lot of changes that you need to make, other than beefing up your tags (aim for at least 10 to 15), adding a comments capsule and maybe a pic or two. You can do an advanced search on Flickr for photos available for commercial use at no charge.

The comments section is useful because it adds new text to the page, and Google likes when we update our pages. smile An RSS feed also helps in that regard.

And btw, my middle daughter graduated this past spring from Coastal Carolina University just outside of Myrtle Beach, so South Carolina is near and dear to my heart.

Edited to add: I wouldn't place text capsules next to each other. But you can add a photo capsule and then click the little green right arrow on the top right corner to make it right flush to the text capsule beneath it.

Irohner - thanks for the welcome.

You said "beef up your tags."

That's keywords, right?

When I try to add more "tags," my original tags are bumped off. It seems I can only present two tags. Obviously I'm doing something wrong. Any help will be appreciated. If you can direct me to a Hub learning page about tags, I'll buy you a virtual doughnut and cup of coffee. :-)

I'll check out your advice in "Edited to add."

I have much to learn.

Thank you, Irohner

1. lrohner profile image68
        lrohnerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes, and no. Tags are keywords, but keywords are not necessarily tags. smile Keywords are the words/phrases you are targeting, hoping people will search for them in the search engines. You use them in your URL, title and body of your text--and the "tags" section on the right. Tags are just that--your keywords plus any additional words you think people might use. If you can only add two tags, then something is wrong and I would definitely contact the HP staff about it at team@hubpages.com.

Coffee regular, please. Can I get bacon and eggs instead of the doughnut? smile

Back to business. Hubs on tags. Save this one by Edweirdo for later when you're a bit more comfy with HubPages. It's a definite read.

And this one by Darkside will definitely help you to understand the basics of tags.

As a matter of fact, read everything you can by Darkside, SunForged, Relache, Thisisoli, Ryankett and Mark Knowles. Everything. Susana S, Marisa Wright, Frogdropping and Edweirdo also have some good stuff you might want to look over.

You've got your homework assignment. Now go. And don't forget the coffee. smile

"Can I get bacon and eggs instead of the doughnut? "

Yes, sir. In fact I just bought 2 lbs. of bacon and two dozen eggs today.

Now, my bacon cat gets half, but the rest we can share.

So the answer to your question: Can I get bacon and eggs instead of the doughnut?

Yes. Bacon and eggs is typical on my breakfast table on weekends. Plus hash browns or southern fries. You decide.

1. lrohner profile image68
            lrohnerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Neither. I prefer home fries (as us Yankees call them). Unless home fries and Southern fries are the same thing.

Oh, and it's "Ma'am" to you. smile

Oh, and it's "Ma'am" to you.

Oops! Sorry...

2. J Sunhawk profile image68

Okay, I followed your advice and added tags.

Thanks for your instruction, Irohner.

5. LeanMan profile image78
    LeanManposted 13 years ago

Welcome in "J",

There are a host of great hubs written on just about every aspect of creating a hub, do some searches using the search at the top right and also use the help section..

But you do need some pictures, dont forget to add keywords in the description of each picture.. The more capsules the better here on Hubpages..

As to tags, if you open your page while logged in, not even in edit mode, you should be able to type new tags into the little box below the tags... try it and see..

Thanks for the tip, LeanMan.

I'll follow your suggestion and see where I land.

I feel lost, but you and others are shining a light on the path where I need to go...

I'm sure if I step in a cowpie, I'll be informed.

Thanks, everyone.

May your Halloween costume scare whomever you decided to scare. And if that doesn't work, check out "Frankenstein" starring Boris Karloff and try again...

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)