jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (7 posts)

Don't do as I do, do as I say?

1. EmpressFelicity profile image76
    EmpressFelicityposted 7 years ago

A few days back, a kind hubber brought our attention to HubPages' new policy on backlinking (http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/54280).

In a nutshell, that policy is "don't do it unless it's relevant, and don't do it very often, let alone in a spammy way".

And YET, I keep seeing this ad popping up all over the site:

http://www.writeserve.com/general/backlinksad.JPG

Am I the only person seeing a disconnect here?   I'd be grateful for a response from the staff on this one, because personally I think you should pull this ad (and others like it) from your site.

1. thisisoli profile image73
      thisisoliposted 7 years agoin reply to this

They are just following Google's standard policies tongue

2. Aya Katz profile image82
      Aya Katzposted 7 years agoin reply to this

The ads are for our non-Hubber readers. They are not for us. It is ironic, but not illogical.

1. EmpressFelicity profile image76
        EmpressFelicityposted 7 years agoin reply to this

But surely Google applies the same standards to people with stand-alone websites/blogs, as it does to members of HP?  Or am I missing something?

Strikes me that the Big G shouldn't be letting people advertise backlinks for sale in the first place, assuming they're the sort of spammy, meaningless backlinks that Google (and hence HubPages) wishes to discourage.

I have to go and lie down now, because my head hurts...

1. Aya Katz profile image82
          Aya Katzposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Google will cut anyone down, eventually, if they have these spammy backlinks, in all probability. But... I'm not sure that they care about what the advertiser gains from trying to sell such a product. As long as it doesn't affect Google, they're fine with it. Is it ethical? That's a different question.

2. rebekahELLE profile image89
    rebekahELLEposted 7 years ago

have you recently been searching backlinks? I often see whatever I've been searching. it's google on our trail.

3. skyfire profile image76
    skyfireposted 7 years ago

Google has such standards so i don't expect much from them.  But let's not get into that. HP will remove these ads just like some of the "adult" text +image ads and hubs. It takes some time to track them though. If i'm not wrong then Maddie responded to pop-up ads threads so these ads will be taken down after some time once they notice the places/hubs.

working