Promoting a HUB page

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (16 posts)
  1. JRDurruthy profile image56
    JRDurruthyposted 13 years ago

Any of you have experience promoting readership to a HUB page without PPC advertising? Would appreciate any tips out there.

1. Misha profile image63
      Mishaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

All usual methods apply, may be except for site directories submission. Check out my hub on backlinking for the most basic ones, if you need help in this department. Or venture to Peter Hoggan's or Sunforged's hubs on the topic. smile

2. WryLilt profile image88
    WryLiltposted 13 years ago

I rarely promote. I write a hub. I leave it. I go write another hub. I leave it. I go write another hub. I leave it. I go write another hub. I leave it.

That's why I've got 180 hubs and 110,000 views on this account. lol

The only promoting I usually do is tweeting each one, and occasionally forget to do that.

1. profile image0
      TopUniverseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It looks interesting. You point is we need to concentrate on making more hubs instead of promoting.

1. WryLilt profile image88
        WryLiltposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Some people on the forums disagree with that method. But you'll find that there are people who pay their rent with the money they earn from hubpages without promoting - for instance Relache.

I figure I'd rather have 100 hubs maturing in a year than have 10 hubs that I get to mature in a month because I put all that work into promoting them.

Their time will come......and also, new people often don't know how to pick good topics that 1. Are being searched or 2. Are easy to compete with.

You can promote a hub all you want, but if it's against big competition or isn't being searched for, it can end up being worthless time.

2. Diane Inside profile image72
        Diane Insideposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I kind of agree with Wrylilt here, I have heard of people making backlinks and all that stuff. But I think if you just write you hubs and let them age, as long as it has at least a few good keywords, it will get some views.

I don't do any promotion. I don't have as many views as wrylilt, but then of course I don't have a many hubs.

I suspect that if I wrote lots of hubs with good keywords, I would get allot more views.

With no promotion.

Haha I agree about keywords but you can get good views without them. big_smile

When I first joined the site, I went with the "Throw mud at a wall till something sticks" method. Luckily for me, quite a bit of mud stuck!

1. profile image0
            Donna Ferrierposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I actually did that with spaghetti at a dinner party once...threw a couple of noodles at the wall until they stuck...that's how we knew it was done...LOL

Peace,
            Donna

3. sunforged profile image71
    sunforgedposted 13 years ago

Seems to be lots of "suspecting" and hoping and not as much experimenting.

The shotgun approach has its merits but when you look back at your stats you should see some very promising terms that would be far more profitable if they appeared in a higher location in the serps - thats where your promotion would come in. Not every article is worth promoting and not every article needs promoting.

? if either of those were true, why did you write it? if its against big competition you just compete harder (if thats what your in to)

Relache just posted her traffic sources - top 5 includes another site she writes for i.e. promotion (albeit limited)- she also has 4 years at the site and a ton of lens with very high standing, her experience will not be our experience, it could be! but its not the same as someone with just 3 weeks experience.

That being said , I agree with WryLilt, get a 100 articles written, learn the HP system, learn all your aff dashboards, find something you enjoy that is also profitable and then worry about tweaking everything to the most it can be.

"? if either of those were true, why did you write it? if its against big competition you just compete harder (if thats what your in to)"

Confused what you're referring to?

This account is now my 'write for fun' account and I just don't bother keyword researching here now. big_smile

1. Chrysoprasus profile image59
        Chrysoprasusposted 13 years agoin reply to this

seen your stats in profile.. how in earth did you make 181 hubs in 5 months? I'm just starting here, like 5 days... got 9 hubs with only 180 views overall, i wonder if it could be up...

i would like you to read my hub also, just checking if im doing the right thing (you know, about the hubs i made), im open to inputs, critics, just to make myself "improve" here...

i know its too early to ask for great outcome... just wanna know if they this "hubbing" thing really earns...

1. profile image0
          Website Examinerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You could post to the Extreme Hub Makeover forum, which is for getting this kind of feedback. Posting links to your hubs is allowed there:

http://hubpages.com/forum/23

4. sid_candid profile image57
    sid_candidposted 13 years ago

Excellent thread this with quality information. I would say the more hubs you have the more are your chances of getting more traffic. I write hubs and write more hubs to raise traffic. Write on good topics and do a bit of keyword research using Google's keyword tool. You will certainly get traffic and increase in earnings over a period of time.

1. Chrysoprasus profile image59
      Chrysoprasusposted 13 years agoin reply to this

what is Google's keyword tool?

(Sorry, I do not have any idea about such thing...)

1. profile image0
        TopUniverseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

here is the link to the google keyword tool

https://adwords.google.com/select/KeywordToolExternal

Try some keywords yourself.

5. SteveoMc profile image73
    SteveoMcposted 13 years ago

Disclaimer:  I don't really know a damn thing!

But, I can't resist commenting.

This promoting, writing, backlinking, keyword, adsense, channels, feedburning, rss, reading, commenting, etc.  Is the most confusing thing in the world.   

Some people are like from Mars or something where Internetish is their first language and English is their second language.   As an excited Internetish expert, they relate their experiences only in Keywords and meta statements.   For those of us whose second language is Internetish, it takes a long time to acquire that language, as anyone knows, a new language takes about two years to learn sufficient vocabulary to get by, but it takes 5 years to become fluent. 

As a 6 month person, I am now proud to say that I have an outstanding vocabulary....I can say the words and most of them do not seem like foreign words at all.   

My goal is to understand the vocabulary in the next two years.  This would be ahead of the curve.   

My main concern at this point is to have the very best content that I can muster.   I take a lot of time to do this.   I want content that I can proudly point other people to, and some day link my ass off to.    So with all the practicing and experimenting, it all comes down to having a good solid foundation.   For me, it is the building blocks that all other cloud stuff is built upon.   I want to be respected for my content, I want people to remember where they got some help, and I want my visitors to bookmark and save those hubs for future reference.  The only way I can do this is to have content that is relevant, helpful and fun.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)