Connotative values on Amazon hubs

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (17 posts)
  1. wilderness profile image94
    wildernessposted 13 years ago

A couple of questions for you marketing psychologists out there:

Given an Amazon oriented hub pushing items of various values, should they be "cheap" or "inexpensive", "economical" or some other more innocuous word?  My impression from the keyword tool is that people search for "cheap", but other words sound so much better without implying poor quality (at least to me!).

If the widgets are organized as to price, which should come first, spendy or cheap?  Either set could turn off potential buyers...

2. lrohner profile image69
    lrohnerposted 13 years ago

The only time I would use a phrase like "cheap" or "inexpensive" is if I was specifically targeting a value-conscious crowd and pushing low-end products. If you use those terms in a hub with products of varying prices, you might as well get rid of all the middle- and high-end products and just push the cheap ones, IMHO.

wildernessposted 13 years agoin reply to this

And you may very well be right, though I tend to think that many people like a choice of price ranges, perhaps with different options.

Some people won't care about price, but many will buy what the budget will allow and will look for the best bang for the buck.  And maybe they can be talked into spending more for an additional option.  Or at least I do.

1. lrohner profile image69
        lrohnerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes--I wasn't saying that they don't. All of my product hubs give a wide range of products with different brands at hugely different price points. If I'm selling widgets, I may offer 5 to 6 different widgets ranging in price from $25 to $300. But that wasn't my point.

If I were to write a hub exactly like that with a wide spread in price points, I wouldn't use the terms "cheap" or "economical" -- just as I wouldn't label to the more expensive brands "luxury" or "top of the line." It's all about objectivity, giving the consumers the facts and letting them choose the product that best suits their budgets.

In fact, in the scenario I laid out above, I actually sell more products in the hundreds of dollars than I do the "economical" $25 brand.

Now, if I was pushing ONE brand or ONE price point in the products, then I would start using "cheap," "value-priced" or "high-end."

And trust me -- I have well over 20 years of experience in marketing -- specifically brand marketing for a whole lot of brands that you probably have in your house. smile

That's about what I am doing right now, Irohner.  Multiple brands and prices, pretty much grouped together by price range, but by manufacturer as well.

I sometimes point out quality, but mostly let the prices speak for themselves.  I just wanted another keyword for the search engines.  sad 

Thanks for the advice; it sounds like I'm pretty much on the right track, at least most of the time. smile

3. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

Hey Wilderness, you could write 3 hubs using each in the title and see which gives you the best results.

I'm sorta on Irohner's point also- "cheap" will draw you a crowd that will only purchase if cheap enough. You dollar per sale will most likely be made up by volume, if the products is marketable.

Assorted low price items work for cheap, inexpensive would have a different level because it draws to a different mindset. And, economical is the intelligent word which deals with those who understand the word itself.

Many varied options to say the least. I'm not sure if I helped at all. hmm

Hi Cagsil!  I wasn't thinking of a title, but maybe H1,2 and 3.  For instance, I might write a hub to sell cars, and offer a Rolls Royce, Lamborghini and Ferrari under H1.  Ford, Chevy and Dodge under H2 and a Yugo under H3.

Now H1 might read "Best cars in the world", H2 might be "Family priced high quality cars", but what is H3?  "Cheap" or "Inexpensive"?

I've never seen a search for "inexpensive", but there are plenty for "cheap".  It just sounds so bad and undesirable to me I hesitate to use the word even to give a little kick to the SEO.

And which order should they come in?  Should the good stuff be first or last?  I understand just enough to know that these kind of things matter a great deal in getting sales, but not enough to know the answers! lol

Unless I misunderstand, H1 counts more for SEO than H2 and so forth, but it probably makes a difference psychologically to the reader on whether he continues to read,  neutral  buys big_smile or leaves. sad

Marketing has become a real science, with a great deal of effort put into simple things such as stocking shelves, front or back of a store, height above floor etc. but I'm just way too ignorant of the subject!

As for trial and error, you'd have to do it a thousand times to get any kind of firm answers and I don't think I'll live that long!

4. Cagsil profile image70

Okay, I just thought I would try to help. I wasn't sure if it would matter. lol I have a little experience in Marketing online and offline(manager type stuff).

I know it needs to be tested, regardless. And, that's one of the worst things about Marketing- the testing of approaches is the most difficult. wink

Understood, and I appreciate it.  I have no marketing experience at all, but have discussed such things occasionally, out of curiosity, with those that do.

You sure have it right about testing, though - I just don't want to do it!  Write 50 hubs (to give at least some statistical base) wait 6-12 months and analyze the results.  Taking into account different products, time of year, current events and economy, etc.

Before I do that I'll just guess. Come to think of it, I already have! big_smile  Just looking for additional opinions from someone more knowledgeable than I am.

5. lrohner profile image69
    lrohnerposted 13 years ago

I agree with Cags -- do a test. That's really the only way you can be positive of what is going to work for you. I truly believe that we can all talk about the "right" way to do things, but our writing styles are all so different, that what works for me might not work for you and vice versa.

I have just found that the whole "sales pitch" thing absolutely and totally does not work for me -- at all whatsoever. Complete objectivity in stating facts along with pros and cons seems to fit my writing style.

You know, Irohner, I'm sure with you on the "sales pitch".  I'm not good at it (I flunked out of a couple of MLM gigs), but I can do objective reports and provide links.

I've been trying out sales hubs the last couple of months, and plan to expand them as I'm getting results, but knowing my limitations I figure I need to learn whatever I can.  Impatient, I am.  Want my million $$ [b]now[/i].

Thanks for the help, you two.

6. Cagsil profile image70

You're welcome. smile

7. Anesidora profile image60
    Anesidoraposted 13 years ago

Wilderness it sounds like you've mistaken the meaning of the H1, H2, H3, H4 heading designations. H1 does not refer to the first subheading in your hub, and H2 the second.

H1 is generally the title header, the top level heading. H2 are sort of like main sub-headers, and H3 are sub-sub-headers, and H4 are sub-sub-sub-headers. Like numbered bullet point lists. So you may have multiples of each in a hub or on a webpage.

The importance of H1/H2/H3/H4 designations is in identifying for the spiders what your webpage is mostly about, not in what comes first in the content.

H1's are generally main titles. That's what your page is mostly about sees the spider. H2's are main subheadings or subtopics. Luxury Performance Vehicles might be an H2, with Mercedes, Ferrari and Porsche as H3 sub-sub-headings. The spider sees that your webpage discusses Ferraris, but only somewhat. More emphasis is given to the spider on the H2 Luxury Performance Vehicles than the more specific H3 Ferraris header.

Regarding your OP question. If you're focusing on cheap, start with the cheapest options first I think. If you're not then you might want to start based on a different criteria other than price, such as best to worst, in similar groups by color, size or types, or stated as being in no particular order but then placed by you according to what you think is most attractive to your targeted market.

I have sometimes said in the opening few paragraphs that the reader can expect to find options in a wide price range type of thing. Then even if they don't like your first presented option they might still scroll down a bit to check out what else you got.

I bet it'd be interesting to do two hubs published on the same day and elsewise all done very similarly to each other but one focused on a cheap market and the other not. Add a third hub focused on high-end and see what you come up with. Then again I also bet results would vary as to which was the best performing depending on the topic or product marketed.

Anyway, good luck!

You are absolutely correct; I misunderstood the terms.  Thanks for the education.

I like the idea of stating there is a range of pricing; that sounds like a good way to go.

The test you propose would indeed be interesting, but nearly impossible to conduct except as a statistical model, with dozens or hundreds of hubs.  There are simply too many variables.  Two hubs to compare results would need to be very nearly duplicates, with the same keywords and such and nearly the same text.

8. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

some department stores have different price levels according to quality.
    good value (less quality, least expensive)
    great value
    best value (highest quality, most expensive)

if you focus on 'value', it doesn't sound cheap even though a good value will be the least expensive item. people, rich, poor or in between are looking for bargains.

You're right - value sounds better to me, even though it means "cheap" more and more.

And yes, I think more and more people are looking for bargains.  If nothing else it becomes a game to get the best price on a particular item.  My wife and mother both will go to a yard sale, pick up a 25 cent item and bargain hard to get it for 20 cents.  It's a game.  Save that nickel!

9. Hestia DeVoto profile image61
    Hestia DeVotoposted 13 years ago

From what I've seen reading hubs, there are some people making hubs that clearly are focusing on "cheap" while others are going after high-price items.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)