new hub vs updating older hubs?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (11 posts)
  1. Donnacha C profile image72
    Donnacha Cposted 13 years ago

I would really appreciate a few ideas here.

I have written about 25 hubs to date, all football (soccer) related, bar from one. I have now noticed that least 5-7 of them have no low (54-68) overall scores and don`t attract much traffic at all. I saw from other hubbers, how they do go back to their older hubs to refresh and update them rather than delete them.

Would you guys recommend that instead of writing a new one I should go back and review my low preforming articles? also what way can you update a hub if it relates to a specific event, such as a football game at a certain time?

any ideas are much appreciated!

1. yolanda yvette profile image61
      yolanda yvetteposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I would suggest updating older stuff first.  That's what I'm doing.  I'm not going to write any new ones until the old ones are updated.

For me, it's just wanting all my work to be as good as it can be.  And I'm glad I went back over the older stuff, since I've found lots of errors.  And secondly, I've read some of my writings and been very impressed, which is encouraging.

2. qwark profile image61
      qwarkposted 13 years agoin reply to this

...I've gone back and reviewed my "hubs" which got no action. I've re-written a couple of 'em to see if they'd be read.
      Seems that they are attracting new interest.
      Qwark

3. Marisa Wright profile image83
      Marisa Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It depends.  Have you learned more about how to write a Hub since you wrote those low-performing ones?  Have you tried posting one or two on the Extreme Hub Makeover thread to see if others think they could be improved?

I have tried revising low performing Hubs - sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't.

If they're short, or mainly text, expanding them and/or adding more photos and video clips can make quite a difference.  But sometimes, you just have to accept the fact that you chose a subject nobody else wants to read about!   

If the date has passed,then you could consider writing a report on the game?

2. profile image0
    Website Examinerposted 13 years ago

No expert, but you could use the Google Adwords keyword tool, run a scan on your hubs and seek inspiration for additional tags and keywords.

Deleting hubs usually doesn't make much sense. Writing new ones may be a good idea, but why keep on adding to the portfolio of similar-type hubs unless you have figured out how to make them better?

As for the older hubs about specific events, I would consider their broader context. If you could find some useful references that related to certain events that took place on that day, or which involved certain people who were present in your hub, this could make the hub more "ever green." Then you could consider creating some backlinks from sites that are interested in such issues, back to your hub.

3. wilderness profile image95
    wildernessposted 13 years ago

I agree with WE in that it seldom makes sense to delete a poorly performing hub.

One of my earliest hubs, poorly written and with no SEO (I haven't even been able to "tweak" it effectively) has received a total of about 30 views in nearly 5 months, and none in the last 30 days.  Until today, when it received one view and earned over $3.

Why delete them?

4. saleheensblog profile image61
    saleheensblogposted 13 years ago

Before going back make sure you know what exactly you are supposed to do. Visit http://learningcenter.hubpages.com/ and higly emphasize on the hubcamp portion.

5. Ign Andy profile image56
    Ign Andyposted 13 years ago

It seems WE is right, do some keyword research using Google Adwords Keyword Tool. When you get the keywords, update your title and put it in Title & subtitle. There are many hubs about Keyword and I believe it'll help you about the trick in writng online.

You wrote very interesting hubs. However a few of your hubs based on past events (world cup), I'm not sure updating these hubs will give impact on traffics.

6. WryLilt profile image89
    WryLiltposted 13 years ago

It's completely up to you.

Some hubbers have reported 'dead' hubs taking off after fifteen months and suddenly getting good traffic. The average hub takes 6-9 months to see serious traffic.

Another recommendation I've seen is "Don't fix the bad ones, make the good ones better."

When I have a hub that doesn't do anything, I just leave it and go on tweaking the ones that ARE getting traffic, because obviously those ones work!

7. Donnacha C profile image72
    Donnacha Cposted 13 years ago

thank you all for your ideas! much appreciated

8. Mark Ewbie profile image81
    Mark Ewbieposted 13 years ago

I was mulling over this today, and I've only been here five weeks - but my God I've written some garbage.

Anyway, some of those hubs are pretty clearly going to be Hubpages only traffic and then die - and I was thinking that I don't want to keep looking at non performing hubs.

However, I might just put them all into a Garbage Group, which is a fun idea.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)