Interesting Findings on Low Quality Hubs

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (21 posts)
  1. snakebaby profile image66
    snakebabyposted 13 years ago

Not sure which category I should put this in

I have recently discovered two interesting ways of writing hubs

1. All gemstone jewelry hubs are written the same way, talking about only ebay buying, tons of wasteful and useless words such as "take a look at ...on the right", "you can see the current bid...", "ebay is the best place to shop for jewelry" (really?), "they have a large listing...", stuff like that. That's perfectly fine to write one hub or two using such language, but all hubs from that author have been written exactly the same way, pretty much just replaced "this jewelry name" with "that jewelry name". No quality whatsoever, yet they are still overall "considered" (by the hubpages system) high quality.

2. Moment ago, I found someone (must be from China based on his hubber name) "wrote" a bunch of hubs in such low quality, that it is simply so obvious that all his hubs were done by using online language tool to translate stuff written in his own language, then he just merely pasted the result here to make it a hub. Yet few of his hubs I checked have pretty good score such as around 75. This is purely ridiculous. I can't even understand what his hubs are saying, they are not English, period!

As a comparison, the few hubs for book reviews written by my daughter (with serious effort) are now sitting at around 60, because they have very little to 0 traffic

I wonder whether hubpages team could come up with better ways to detect low quality and high quality hubs? Long hubs don't necessarily mean they have high quality; low traffic hubs don't necessarily mean they are low quality.

2. Mark Ewbie profile image61
    Mark Ewbieposted 13 years ago

That's why hub hopping properly is so important.  Non English or barely English spun content should be flagged immediately - in my opinion.  As should obviously cut and pasted content - it's not too hard to spot.

Hubpages has an integrity to protect, and it is in all our interests to make sure we have genuine original 'proper' authors writing.

As for creating software to do it.  I guess that's kind of hard to do.

edit: Oh yeah.  When you spot garbage it's not a bad idea to check out the author too,  they sometimes have half a dozen similar hubs all created within a short space of time.  Flag them too.

1. snakebaby profile image66
      snakebabyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I like what you said, Mark, especially the last couple of sentences, indeed as what you described, both authors had exactly the same pattern - all hubs were written in short period of time, one of them wrote all about gemstones.  Not sure what they think of this kind of hubs. When it comes to mutual benefits, it is especially hard to tell. Flag them may not do a thing after all.

3. rwelton profile image61
    rweltonposted 13 years ago

I agree about flagging poor quality and obvious link posts.  Have not been in he community long, so I don't know if that has an effect. 

What would happen if a very obvious post that was just an ad link to another website - no text - (saw one tonight)was linked here and everyone flagged it- and/or voted it down.would it have an effect?  I don't know how that works.  I see Answers posts deleted when it gets to be a minus-two or three..
    rlw

4. rebekahELLE profile image84
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

when you find a hub that has no text and only a link, flag it.HP will notify the author that it has violated TOS. hub hopping can help catch these hubs and abusers of the site, also checking the latest in the Hubs category above.

5. C.V.Rajan profile image60
    C.V.Rajanposted 13 years ago

A honest question to web content owners:

What is the preference? A low quality content that can ensure more ad clicks or a high quality hub that does neither get visitors nor get ad clicks?

I read somewhere about what decides a woman's fashion clothing. It is the outcome of the compromise between her desire to reveal and modesty to conceal. Perhaps we can draw an analogy here.

1. simeonvisser profile image63
      simeonvisserposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That is a difficult question actually.

2. ThomasE profile image70
      ThomasEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The ebay hubs that snakeboy mentions are hugely profitable to hubpages... the 350 ebay hubs probably produce well over $1000 bucks a month for hub pages.

3. saleheensblog profile image61
      saleheensblogposted 13 years agoin reply to this

hubs that get clicks are the preference. And for sure barely written in English/ way too poorly written in English/ not written in English hubs are not going to get any clicks. People will never find those garbages as garbage never rank well. smile

My English is poor but not like those craps. Any reader can understand which content is written by a second language user and which one is spun or barely written in English.

1. C.V.Rajan profile image60
        C.V.Rajanposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Not necessarily. People ended up in such article for getting some related info. If the info is presented well, they will read and go away! No ad clicks! If what they are searching for is not available in the article, there are better chances that they click the Google ads (on related subject) that brings money to author as well as Hubpages!

1. saleheensblog profile image61
          saleheensblogposted 13 years agoin reply to this

hmmm, true and sad.

6. IzzyM profile image88
    IzzyMposted 13 years ago

Some people click ads just to get out of poor quality hubs! So the hubber will continue to write poor quality because they are making money!

1. Pcunix profile image86
      Pcunixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Ayup.

Imagine, if you can, an Internet without Adsense, Amazon or indeed any way to monetize your writing.

How many would write at all? Some of us would, because we have businesses to promote, and some of us would still write just to write, but the great mass of "writers" would be gone and an incredible volume of pages would not exist. 

We had that world once. Honestly, I miss it smile

1. IzzyM profile image88
        IzzyMposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I would continue writing even without adsense or amazon because I enjoy it.
        I wouldn't write so much although, and I'd only write about things that interested me.
        But adsense and amazon are just amazing! Pity I can't get ebay too!

2. Kushal101 profile image60
        Kushal101posted 13 years agoin reply to this

My latest hub is about such a net world big_smile

7. mquee profile image68
    mqueeposted 13 years ago

I go hub hopping generally about once a week and have found some very good hubs. I have read a few hubs where I did not have an inkling as to what was trying to be said. I have run across a few that had only a title, but thought they were published in error, because I did just that when I first joined hubpages. I did something wrong and just a title appeared. From reading here, it seems some people do this dliberately.

8. psycheskinner profile image76
    psycheskinnerposted 13 years ago

I think garbled or poorly written hubs should be flagged because even if they get traffic they leave that traffic with the impression that Hubpages are poorly written and not a good source of information. Thus they will be less likely to click links to hubs in the future.

That said, if a hub is not getting traffic, it is not a good hub--no matter what the quality of the prose is. This is a content site, and the goal of content is to get traffic.

1. IzzyM profile image88
      IzzyMposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I don't agree with this statement.
      I have read many excellent quality hubs with really useful information (good content) that fails to get hit on ONLY because they were not keyword optimised.

Learning SEO is so important, but totally alien to most of us when we start.
      Yes this is a content site, but those with good SEO knowledge can write a load of crap and make a fortune while those who actually know what they are talking about and can write well can completely fail to get picked up by the search engines.
      Sad but true.

1. psycheskinner profile image76
        psycheskinnerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The fact remains that this is a content site, it exists to make money through advertising, and needs traffic to expose people to that advertising.  Having other goals as a writer is fine.  But the Hubscore is to encourage the creation of profitable hubs  that further the goals of HubPages, and traffic is a huge and important part of that. 

A good hub is both one that gets traffic, and one that provides what the traffic is seeking (and thus encourages inbound links and return traffic).  So a good hubscore should be based on doing both of these things.

9. Shadesbreath profile image76
    Shadesbreathposted 13 years ago

People will continue to do what pays.

Anyone trying to connect morality to it doesn't understand the nature of humanity.  Or morality.

Doesn't mean it doesn't suck, but it does mean what it means.

10. sofs profile image75
    sofsposted 13 years ago

I hub hopped recently and found many hubs that are barely hundred words or less than 200 words and written like blogs and in poor English. I always hubhop and have never found such poor quality of hubs that I have seen in the last two weeks ( I have been here for five months now)
    I flagged about twenty hubs yesterday and was fed up after a while, most of them just had few lines about some product and just Amazon ads..

My question is how are they passing the substandard or needs revision flag ... how do they escape it..
    I am asking this purely because of the fact that it will indeed bring down the standards of HubPages, even though it is not exactly what this thread is about.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)