jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (7 posts)

Image Capsule Problem

1. melbel profile image93
    melbelposted 6 years ago

I am using an image from Flikr that has a Attribution-ShareAlike license. With the license, I am required to cite the author of the image, which is something that I already do. But the license also requires that I link to the license. The image capsule presents a problem with this as it has three fields:

Name of source: flikr user name
    Source url: where image is on flikr
    Caption: This image is of something relevant to my hub.

There is no place to put the license url. I could put it in the caption which I am doing for now, but it doesn't look good.

2. skyfire profile image73
    skyfireposted 6 years ago

You don't need to put license URL if you're giving a linkback to original author's image page. The image is already in SA so there is no chance of any issue of explicitly linking to license. Besides there is no need to link to CC license page, you just need to give attribution to author.

3. melbel profile image93
    melbelposted 6 years ago

Yeah but according to the "Notice" section of the CC license, you do have to:

"For any reuse or distribution, you must make clear to others the license terms of this work."

http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/deed.en

4. skyfire profile image73

Hi Mel,

Take a look at this hub from Marissa. See if this way you can give attribution ? AFAIK, Link to license page is not necessary, only mention of "CC-SA" etc is fine too.

5. melbel profile image93
    melbelposted 6 years ago

Yes, but is this correct? I mean, the license itself says that the terms of the license must be mentioned. This blogger:
    http://www.skelliewag.org/a-complete-gu … es-162.htm
    also says that the license itself MUST be cited.

6. skyfire profile image73

Hi Mel,

As per skelie's article CC-SA forces you to linkback author and license. If it's ONLY attribution license then you don't need to link to license but only to author of content. I guess that clears up some confusion.

1. melbel profile image93
      melbelposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, which is why it would be nice to be able to cite the license in the case that I find a good picture under the SA license.

working