more tattoos and sexy singles?

Jump to Last Post 1-22 of 22 discussions (30 posts)
  1. ProCW profile image79
    ProCWposted 15 years ago

Hey. Now this is about ridiculous! My hub, http://hubpages.com/hub/TheRedMonologue has been published for a while now (20 days to be precise) and was producing relative theatre/acting/story links. Just checked it today and the tattoo ads are accompanied by the sexy singles ads!!!

I understand the whole wait until google's spider crawls it thing. Google's spider has crawled it. Relevant ads were there and now the non-related, sleazy ads are back.

Hubpages, can you fix this PLEASE???!!!

ProCW

PS. Please don't tell me to "see this post" or wait until google crawls it. Repeating myself on purpose, it has been crawled and WAS showing relevant advertising.

2. Lissie profile image76
    Lissieposted 15 years ago

I totally agree ProCW - I only published http://hubpages.com/hub/How-to-do-basic … mens-parts less than 24 hrs ago but it immediately had relevant ads and even got a click! I have blogs on a similar topic and they have relevant ads all the time - now I too have sexy singles and Vanessa Hughens ads - its really frustrating!

3. ProCW profile image79
    ProCWposted 15 years ago

I know that I saw ballroom ads on your hub...!

Its a shame that these types of ads are drawn to hubpages. NEVER are these types of ads on my blog, so why then do they come to hubpages? I wonder if it is because of certain types of "other" hubs.

ProCW

PS. Good hub by the way Lissie! smile

4. ProCW profile image79
    ProCWposted 15 years ago

Oh... and what's the deal with the Proactiv acne ads EVERYWHERE on hubpages?

5. SweetiePie profile image83
    SweetiePieposted 15 years ago

Maybe someone could write a hub about how proactive really makes some people break out because that was all it did for me.  That was back in 1999 when it cost sixty dollars to buy on a television infomercial and I fell for my friend suggesting I try it.  Now one can buy it much more reasonably at the mall smile.

1. Shirley Anderson profile image69
      Shirley Andersonposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I agree, but it cost me $100 in the '90's because of the exchange rate.  I ended giving a lot of it away because they kept sending it every month.....I had enough for an army before I finally got them to stop.

Hey maybe that would make a good hub, SweetiePie!  You just might get appropriate ads, at least with that topic.  I hear there's a few around.  smile

1. ProCW profile image79
        ProCWposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I agree! Go for it SweetiePie! smile

2. SweetiePie profile image83
        SweetiePieposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Yes that monthly charge for the Proactive was very annoying.  I called the customer service and explained I was a college student so they would stop charging me, but I did end up with quite a bit of unused product.  My sister had even more and once we tried to sell the unused portion at a garage sale.  No one seemed interested in Proactive LOL.

6. Mark Knowles profile image58
    Mark Knowlesposted 15 years ago

I am seeing relevant ads now.

1. topstuff profile image60
      topstuffposted 15 years agoin reply to this

i just saw one saying US elections 2008

7. Mark Knowles profile image58

I honestly have no idea for sure, but I would guess they try and offer the most relevant ad, then work their way down less relevant ones until they reach the point where there is only public service ads left.

I cannot imagine the advertiser is very happy either. I know if I was selling sexy singles I wouldn't want my ads on a page more suited to children's books.

You do have some control and can block specific advertisers in your google adsense account.

EDIT - I was replying to a comment that has been removed. I hate that. big_smile

1. weblog profile image57
      weblogposted 15 years agoin reply to this

But, still the unwanted(for ProCW) ads will show whenever it's the turn of hubpages' adsense id. Right? smile

1. Mark Knowles profile image58
        Mark Knowlesposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I would think so, unless they too have blocked that advertiser.

8. ProCW profile image79
    ProCWposted 15 years ago

I guess they are rotating the ads somehow...

Sorry... removed the comment to make it more relevant... hehe...

I don't understand how anything on my page would even trigger such advertising....

9. ProCW profile image79
    ProCWposted 15 years ago

I think you're correct in saying that.. (but not sure) (to weblog)

10. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

Sorry for you Mark, I even can guess who did it big_smile

As for the original post - I think it has the proper place on Adsense forums, not here. My wild guess would be Google did not have enough ads on your topic, and tried to serve ones it got overstocked with, in an attempt to get at least some money...

11. ProCW profile image79
    ProCWposted 15 years ago

disagree... it's happening to alot of us Misha... and there are PLENTY of advertisers that serve ads to things that i write about. and i have relevant tags, etc.

12. Mark Knowles profile image58

Misha - big_smile

ProCw - I just had a thought - try deleting all those tags that say "monologue" and replacing them with things like "children stories" and Fairy tales" - maybe that would help. I don't see what could be advertised with the keyword monologue?

13. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

Why do you guys think that tags have any relation whatsoever to the topic of the ads served?

1. ProCW profile image79
      ProCWposted 15 years agoin reply to this

anything within the html body should have some sort of relevance.

correction... any text within it

14. Mark Knowles profile image58

Because that is what Paul and Maddie have said in the past.

Although I am open to correction that the tags have nothing to do with it.

15. ProCW profile image79
    ProCWposted 15 years ago

mark... i just checked it with the google keyword tool. it has high advertiser competition.

1. Mark Knowles profile image58
      Mark Knowlesposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Well, I stand corrected. But I would still have thought "fairy tale" which is just as highly searched for :

http://www.google.com/trends?q=monologu … amp;sort=0

Is no more appropriate. Although you do find some strange things out there. The language the word "monologue" is most searched for in is Tagalog - outweighing English by a good 2:1 big_smile

16. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

I would be happy to read their explanation and change my mind, but as I see it now, Google (or any other search engine for that matter) does not give tags any more weight than to regular bolded words within the text...

17. weblog profile image57
    weblogposted 15 years ago
  18. ProCW profile image79
    ProCWposted 15 years ago

just checked my page there... works GREAT there...

19. ProCW profile image79
    ProCWposted 15 years ago

I'm fine with Filipinos reading it... hehe smile They might like it.. smile Most Filipinos are bilingual anyway... maybe they're all into theatre... hehe

20. ProCW profile image79
    ProCWposted 15 years ago

added some fairy tale tags per your suggestion, mark... smile

21. ProCW profile image79
    ProCWposted 15 years ago

any ideas on the proactiv acne add that's pasted all over hubpages? smile

22. ProCW profile image79
    ProCWposted 15 years ago

wonder how much that'll be payin'... haha

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)