Suggestions for the Site

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (15 posts)
  1. PhoenixV profile image64
    PhoenixVposted 13 years ago

Imagine a classy Google Ad block, with a classy black background on the right hand side of this page:

http://hubpages.com/authors/best/

Same thing with this page:

http://hubpages.com/question/hot/

and this page

http://hubpages.com/topics/

I would bet these pages get 10's of thousands more impressions than all my hubs, combined.

These pages have big blank spots that could generate a lot of revenue, I bet for Hubpages, "if they were done well, and classy."

With ads there :that weren't overbearing, I bet we could even get a better 40/60 split overall and Hubpages would still make more money.

I wonder sometimes at the utilization of space on the individual hubs and profiles as well. The right hand side of hubs seems too wide imho and "too busy with stuff" and the profiles could also have a classy block ad on the bottom right of unused space.

On the other hand the hubs lately seemed to be getting overwhelmed with flashing and blinking "stuff", and ads that don't really seem to fit aesthetically.

Just some thoughts I had and no offense intended to anyone and was wondering if anyone else had sorta the same ideas or better ideas or input. Thanks

1. oceansnsunsets profile image85
      oceansnsunsetsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I was kind of thinking of some similar things that you said toward the end there.  I think what you are suggesting on the top part, would be beneficial use of space and income for hubpages, and yes if that could translate into a better ratio on an individual hubpage for the hubber, then great!  Hubpages would still get more money in the end, something I am sure they would want.

In general, I am with you on the classier ads are better idea.  Not so sure about the blinking, fluorescent bright color ads, or the video attached ads etc.  Classier, more understated ads that would match with a hubpage and not compete so much, would be better, imo.  Great ideas.

PhoenixVposted 13 years agoin reply to this

My Hubs arent the prettiest on the site so any help from the site in that area would help lol.

2. Ohma profile image59
    Ohmaposted 13 years ago

Wouldn't Ads an theses pages designed to attract attention to individual hubs actually cause people to click away from the site without ever looking at a hub? Wouldn't that actually hurt the individual Hubbers?

I dont think that one classy looking block ad, that compliments the page would be a detriment , especially if the overall split got better or hubbers got a % of that ad.

Clicking away is what "pays most hubbers and hubpages" anyway, right?

meanwhile it would "relieve" what looks like a heavy burden of stuff on the individual hubs.

What do you think?

3. Ohma profile image59
    Ohmaposted 13 years ago

What criteria would be used to determine which Hubber got the revenue generated by an ad on a public page?
    Yes clicking away from hubs generates our income but clicking away from the site without ever looking at a hub would not.

Youre exactly right and that's problematic considering "public page" that's why I thought of a better split overall, like a 5% raise...?

whataya think?

2. oceansnsunsets profile image85

Ohma, that is making the assumption that they only went to that one page, and didn't visit any hubs.  You make your point using something that is not at all a fact and unlikely actually.  This whole idea, if I am understanding it correctly is more about using up some very unused, huge blank white space, while other spaces, like all our hubs have tons of things on them.  The forums, answers, hubbers and all the rest, have a lot of unused space. 

Its either a good idea or not, to use the unused space, when the spaces on our hubs are packed full.  You may think how it is is just fine, just clarifying what I think the OP was saying, in part.

4. Ohma profile image59
    Ohmaposted 13 years ago

A 5 percent raise of zero is still zero we are not paid by HP. We are paid by google or Amazon or whatever affiliate program you are working with.

Well we dont get 100% from Google we get a % split with Hubpages.
      Its 60/40 split.

1. relache profile image73
        relacheposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Actually what is split are the ad impressions, not the money.

You get 100% of the money generated from the 60% impression share on your Hubs.

Perhaps we could get a higher impression share, then? And they utilize the empty space for themselves? Plus the overall relief of the types of ads currently on the hubs. That way everyone wins a little. Or what do you think?

Relache, The Split translates into money, however, so that is how I understood the original post.  The "raise" would be in the higher impression.  It would be hubpages that would generate a lot more income, much more of a "raise" in this case than the hubbers would ever get.  Win win for all, advertisers, hubbers, and especially HubPages management and staff. 

In that light, what do you think? To Phoenix, if I am mistaken in my understanding, correct me here lol.

Its an increase in the ratio toward the hubber, in this case, while also increasing much more revenue for hubpages at the same time.  I don't think people are unclear where the money comes from, but hubpages sets those percentages of page views, etc, on this site.  That is how I understood the OP there. 

What do you think about the bolder adds as well on the pages, the second part of the OP?  Just curious.

3. oceansnsunsets profile image85

Ohma, I think you  misunderstood the point of the original post.  HP sets the ratios, which translates into money.  I think everyone here understands that google and or the other affiliates do the actual paying out.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)