jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (9 posts)

Ugly cigarette packets?

1. earnestshub profile image88
    earnestshubposted 6 years ago

The Australian Government are proposing legislation that will have ugly plain olive green packaging with no logo on cigarette packets.
    Anyone think that will work? I would have thought tackling the addiction would be better handles in other ways.

The ugly packaging will not have much exposure in my state at least, shopkeepers are no longer allowed to display cigarettes for sale here!

1. Uninvited Writer profile image82
      Uninvited Writerposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Better than Canada where they have pictures of ugly diseases on the packages as well as dire warnings. But I don't smoke so don't have to see them.

earnestshubposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Yes, we have them on our cigarette packets as well, but they all have fancy packets and logos still.

2. TLMinut profile image60
    TLMinutposted 6 years ago

I'd think it would merely drive up sales of decorative cigarette cases, the pretty engraved ones...

3. sunforged profile image69
    sunforgedposted 6 years ago

the pictures and warnings on cigarettes have been well proven to have no negative effect on buyer behavior. Some even intentionally ask for certain graphics, can I get the Players with the unborn fetus please?

apparently. it triggers our risk taking/pleasure centers

earnestshubposted 6 years ago in reply to this

That would seem to indicate our government doesn't think very well.... makes sense to me!

1. sunforged profile image69
        sunforgedposted 6 years ago in reply to this

well - it sounds like the plain packaging is the opposite side of what US and Canada has tried and failed in.

plain packaging, would just be plain I dont think it would make anyone feel they were living on the edge, so might be the smartest attempt so far

.for any of this to matter you would have to place some credence in neuromarketing

http://www.martinlindstrom.com/index.ph … gy_archive

1. lrohner profile image84
          lrohnerposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I worked in brand marketing for a company that was owned by RJR when I started with them. Trust me -- packaging has absolutely, positively no impact on converting new consumers to become smokers, and very little impact on switching smokers from one brand to another. We spent millions finding that out. As much as "they" want you to think differently, Joe Camel did NOT convert little kids into smoking fiends.

Our government is kinda dumb, if you ask me. The more they say smoking is "bad," the more it becomes "cool" for younger smokers. The only way to stop smoking is to hit the wallet -- and hard.

4. DRG Da Real Grinc profile image67
    DRG Da Real Grincposted 6 years ago

searching Canadian cigarette packages....

working