jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (8 posts)

Flickr, PhotoBucket...How many links to these sites allowed?

1. Michael Willis profile image78
    Michael Willisposted 6 years ago

I know the rule about 2 links Only to the same domain. But HubPages has said time and time again in the past about "authoritative sites" as exceptions.
    We have been suggested to even use sites such as Flickr or Photobucket for images.

-So, how many pictures can you link to from these two such sites?
    -Should it be only 2 from the same author on these image sites?
    -I know some people may choose to upload their images to either of these 2 sites and may prefer to link back to their photos instead of uploading to HP.

Looking for HP clarification on this one please!

Michael Willisposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I know there is a similar link situation with YouTube and more than 2 embedded links/videos allowed. But, I never post to more than 2 to the same author on YouTube.

2. Marisa Wright profile image92
      Marisa Wrightposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Never, ever use photos from Photobucket unless they're your own.  Not because HP doesn't allow it - it's just that most photos on Photobucket are stolen from other people.

As for Flickr - 99% of my photos are from Flickr.  I have 5 or 6 photos on several Hubs.  I have never had a warning of any kind.

Bear in mind you don't have to link every photo.  I have some Hubs where all the photos are by the same photographer, and I just add a "Photo Credits" section at the end where I thank the photographer for the lot, with only one link.

Thanks for the warning about PhotoBucket! I have used Flickr when the author makes them available and do give credits. I like the idea of "group credit" I guess it would be called you use.

I have not had any warnings either, but...with all the talk lately about domains and links, I want to make sure this ability for images has Not changed. We know that just because it "has been allowed" does not mean it "is allowed."

1. Marisa Wright profile image92

You're quite right, that's one of the things I've been very vocal about as you know!

Yes. Even though they have said there are a few exceptions to the link rules, they have never given a list of WHO is on the exception list when it comes to authoritative.
            Waiting to see if you get unpublished to find out is NOT a good way to run things.

1. Marisa Wright profile image92

Flickr is such a ubiquitous source, I'm sure it would be on the list!

2. Howard S. profile image84
    Howard S.posted 6 years ago

I was going to try to disprove this using photos from my own hubs, but it turns out I never really entered the same source more than twice in the same way on a hub. The ones to watch, however, are http://hubpages.com/profile/annmackiemiller and other photographers on here. Perhaps query them directly.

working