jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (17 posts)

AllPosters for photos

1. Charity Squid profile image71
    Charity Squidposted 6 years ago

Does anyone know if we're allowed to post photos from Allposter affiliates?  They have some great photos to use on your sites, some with clicks to their site?

1. Daffy Duck profile image61
      Daffy Duckposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Seeing as how you have to purchase the posters I would play it safe and say no.  Anytime you have to purchase an image you shouldn't use it without buying it.

2. Marisa Wright profile image98
      Marisa Wrightposted 6 years agoin reply to this

What do you mean, "some" with clicks to their site? AllPosters is an affiliate site, that means you can only use their photos if you're selling them - which means they must all link to their site!

2. profile image0
    Website Examinerposted 6 years ago

Another limitation is that HubPages does not support images with embedded links. Hyperlinks would have to be inserted manually beneath the image, maximum 2 per hub due to the rules concerning "overly promotional."

1. Marisa Wright profile image98

I meant to check, WE, are you sure this is still the case?

I thought the new version of the photo uploader allowed you to link to source - don't know if the aff link would work though.

1. profile image0
        Website Examinerposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for pointing this out, Marisa Wright.

Sounds great, if that is the case. I have not used the feature. I imagine an embedded link (HTML code) still won't be supported.

Not sure what you mean by an embedded link? 

I just tried it on this Hub, updating the first photo:

http://hubpages.com/hub/How-to-Use-Flic … -Your-Hubs

You can see it now shows the Source below with a hyperlink.

1. profile image0

Thanks! In that case, the system works as I expected. My understanding of the system has not changed.

The link is not embedded in the sense that clicking on the image does not lead to the source. The image is not interactive. HubPages does not support linked images, because the image itself contains no links. The link is added in a box underneath the image.

Of course, this is progress compared with how it used to be, but still fairly limited.

Ah, I see.  You're right, clicking on the image itself doesn't lead to the source. However, the procedure is exactly the same as embedding an image on Wordpress - you enter the URL in the photo capsule itself.   You don't need to add a separate text box. 

The difference is that the hyperklink appears under the photo instead of making the image itself a hyperlink.

I must say, I'm not quite sure why they've done it that way.

1. profile image0

Good points! I agree.

3. Uninvited Writer profile image83
    Uninvited Writerposted 6 years ago

Plus All Posters has specific ways you have to present the posters for sale.

4. Simone Smith profile image91
    Simone Smithposted 6 years ago

Unless you have explicit permission, I recommend going with only images that have creative commons attribution (or attribution, share-alike/no-derivatives) images.  And be sure to properly attribute!

Here are some more tips on legal image use: http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/legal-image-use

5. Charity Squid profile image71
    Charity Squidposted 6 years ago

I'm already an affiliate of Allposters and they give you permission to use their photos on your sites if you provide a link to their site.  I was just wondering if we were allowed to use them on Hubpages?

1. profile image0

HubPages generally doesn't allow or prohibit certain images. They just do not support linked images, and it is up to you to see to it that you have got permission.

2. Marisa Wright profile image98

Charity, what I'm saying is that as an affiliate, you are allowed to use the images as a means of selling their posters.

That means if you use an image, you must have a corresponding link back to that product on their site. You are not allowed to use an image without a hyperlink either next to it in the text or in the photo.  That's referred to as a "affiliate link"

HubPages has prohibited some affiliate links but not others. They haven't published a list of which are allowed and are not going to.  So the only thing I can suggest is - try it on one Hub.  If it's now allowed, you'll get a warning message at the top of the Hub.

Also bear in mind you can only have two links to the same website. If you have two AllPoster images on your Hub, then you have two links to products on AllPosters - so that's your limit.

You also get penalised if you have links to the same website over a large number of Hubs.  So only use the AllPosters images on a select number of Hubs.

1. Charity Squid profile image71
        Charity Squidposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Marisa, I'll give it a try.

1. profile image0

I'm sure that you appreciate the assistance given on this thread.

working