I'm losing followers...instead of gaining them!

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (14 posts)
  1. kittythedreamer profile image73
    kittythedreamerposted 12 years ago

Lately I feel as if I'm doing everything I can to increase my number of followers. I follow others, I comment nicely on their hubs, I post fan mail and try to connect with people who have similar interests...and yet, I'm losing followers instead of gaining them. Any ideas?

1. Bobbyben10 profile image60
      Bobbyben10posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Well, there, you gained a new one. smile

kittythedreamerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, Bobby, ditto!

2. MartieCoetser profile image70
    MartieCoetserposted 12 years ago

Some serious changes in HubPages affect us all.

What serious changes?

3. WriteAngled profile image75
    WriteAngledposted 12 years ago

Many spun, spammy hubs are being removed from here. A number of the people who produce these also "follow" a lot of hubbers, thinking this will increase their scores. When they leave or are kicked out, this will decrease the follower number of the hubbers they followed.

I didn't realize that, great point! Thanks so much.

2. Greg Sage profile image40
      Greg Sageposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Sorry, I don't mean to derail, but I'm new to all this.

I get the "spammy" part, but what exactly does "spun" mean?  Searches aren't helping much... more references, but no definition.

thank you

1. PaulGoodman67 profile image95
        PaulGoodman67posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Spun is when a piece of text is put through software so that it masks the fact it has been stolen duplicated.  It often fools anti-duplication software but can come up with unreadable English. 

For example, here is your comment:
        "Sorry, I don't mean to derail, but I'm new to all this."

Spun, it might come out as:
        "Apology, I don't mean to crash, but I'm fresh to everything this."

The spinners don't care how it reads, as long as it contains their keywords.

4. PaulGoodman67 profile image95
    PaulGoodman67posted 12 years ago

I wouldn't worry about followers too much.  They will gradually grow over time, especially if you interact with people.

I lose followers too.  Normally it's for the reasons that WriteAngled has spelled out.

5. psycheskinner profile image82
    psycheskinnerposted 12 years ago

"Spun" means they take content and mangle the text, sometimes through an automatic program, so it will not show up as duplicate content.

1. Greg Sage profile image40
      Greg Sageposted 12 years agoin reply to this

thx

1. PaulGoodman67 profile image95
        PaulGoodman67posted 12 years agoin reply to this

ah, i gave an explanation too, further up, before I saw this! lol

6. sofs profile image76
    sofsposted 12 years ago

Oh don't worry about followers write good content and participate in the forums you will have followers.
    Following people indiscriminately causes your hub score to fall rapidly.. follow only those whose hubs you intend to read and really be in touch with smile
    Welcome to Hubpages and best wishes to you smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)