jump to last post 1-1 of 1 discussions (6 posts)

New formatting snafu

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image91
    DzyMsLizzyposted 6 years ago

Apparently, I may have posted this query/problem:

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/78255#post1692114

in the wrong thread.  I am still puzzled by this problem..about the new capsule formatting, and the forced left margin setting for ALL line breaks.

It is very frustrating.  I do hope this is a GLITCH that will be fixed, and not a new forced-format.

Thank you.

1. Mark Painter profile image62
      Mark Painterposted 6 years ago in reply to this

HTML, as rendered by browsers, dearly likes to ignore white space.  However, there is a way to tell it to preserve white space.  You can enclose your text between <pre> and </pre>.  You will have to go into HTML edit mode to do this, though.  Click on the HTML in the upper left corner of the edit box.  Anyway, I hope that helps.

1. Aficionada profile image89
        Aficionadaposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Mark, I have done that numerous times, but I also have problems when I do that.

One recent problem is that sometimes (as in one of my most recent Hubs) the typeface will show up as Courier Elite or something similar - i.e., closer to what we type in a forum comment box than what appears on the screen after it is submitted (similar to Arial).  It may have been caused by having a different typeface in an original that I copied and pasted - but then I don't know how to get it to match the type of the rest of the capsule.

Another problem I have is that sometimes after I take pains to get the spacing exactly as I want it, and use the <pre> and </pre> tags with it, if I ever have to go back into the same capsule for any reason, I have to do the spacing all over again - even though the correct tags are there.  Is there any way to get around that?

2. DzyMsLizzy profile image91
        DzyMsLizzyposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Thank you, Mark, that's a good thing to know.

What I don't know about HTML would fill a set of encyclopedias.  What I do know (font color, B,I,U, and font name {not supported in this forum}) would fit on the proverbial postage stamp.  ;-)

Do these <pre> - </pre> tags have to be done only at the start and end point of the entire body text, or at the start and end of each line?

1. Mark Painter profile image62
          Mark Painterposted 6 years ago in reply to this

It is probably best to wrap the entire block of text that you want to manually format in a single <pre>...</pre> pair.

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image91
            DzyMsLizzyposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Thank you..I will try that!

working