jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (10 posts)

Problem won't go away!

1. usenetreviewz profile image60
    usenetreviewzposted 5 years ago

I was editing a hub when my power suddenly flashed, (went off the back on quickly,) it affected the entire neighborhood apparently...but anyways, now when I try to edit any of my hubs I get an error message saying that "Something went wrong. Please hit refresh and try reloading the page." But no matter how many times I refreshed the page, rebooted the machine, and even dumped the browser cache,but I get the same error message.

From there I get a normal edit page, but when I try to edit an individual pod, I can't edit anything, the editor doesn't present itself correctly, or anything.

I'm going to keep trying, and see where I can get from here, at least until I have an answer to this issue.

Thanks a lot for any help I get, I hope we can solve this. Here's my system specs, just in case you need it:

Dell 2.1 Ghz w/ 1 g RAM
    Running Win XP SP/3, completely updated
    Firefox 8.0 up to date also.
    Sorry a** slow dial up from People PC, but affordable!

Once again, thanks for anything you could suggest that may help!

1. couturepopcafe profile image60
      couturepopcafeposted 5 years ago in reply to this

It's really heartbreaking when you lose your work.

Two things I've done to help avoid that problem.  A power surge protector is a must.  I also write everything in Word then copy it to HP.  That way there's always backup copy if the HP format gets screwy.  I also have Carbonite for extreme failure.

2. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 5 years ago

Have you tried powering the computer down and walking away for 10 minutes to allow the memory to clear. Then turning it back on again, and see if it is better. Not saying it will help as it sounds like a browser issue.

Other thing to try then is to change your browser completely and see if that helps.
    I find Chrome to the the fastest and cleanest, but of you are already using Chrome, try Firefox.

1. WriteAngled profile image91
      WriteAngledposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I wonder if that depends on PC set-up, because my experience is the opposite to yours, Izzy. I do use Chrome as well as the other browsers. However, in my case, it is the browser that is most likely to crash and it uses a LOT of memory. In addition, I recently ran PC Matic on my laptop to see what was making it slow. Disk fragmentation was one of the issues that came up. The files reported to be the most fragmented were all Chrome-related.

I do definitely agree with your suggestion to try accessing the hub with a different browser, maybe even after a fresh install of a browser.

1. IzzyM profile image87
        IzzyMposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Interesting. I always found chrome fast and clean until I installed the SEO quake add-on. Now it is a system hog! But I want to run it, so I put up with it.

I've set my defrag to run automatically weekly so I never need to manually start it.

2. capricornrising profile image61
        capricornrisingposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I'd also give a thumbs up to a fresh browser install.

3. capricornrising profile image61
    capricornrisingposted 5 years ago

I wonder whether finding the specific HubPages cookies on your system and deleting them will help. You'd have to log back into HubPages and let it give you a new cookie, of course.

1. IzzyM profile image87

He's already cleared the browser cache so it shouldn't be that.

4. usenetreviewz profile image60
    usenetreviewzposted 5 years ago

Man, this is getting frustrating...I can't edit, or post anything because of the "Something went wrong" thing...really starting to get to me, and after fighting with this thing for 3 (or more) days I have only a couple of hairs left on top! (only started with 6 anyway, but I loved those 4 I lost) I really need to solve this before I lose the two I have left!!!

1. IzzyM profile image87

System restore. Try resetting your computer back to the day before the power cut.

Edit: Just remembered something else. WinXP has a system file checker. Start ~> run ~> type in 'sfc.exe' to start it.

You will need your Win disk handy to restore any files it finds that are damaged.

working