How to write a keyword-rich article

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (33 posts)
  1. yui lockhart profile image60
    yui lockhartposted 12 years ago

Hi there! I am just a new writer and trying out my luck. Can you guys share me some tips on how to write an article with lots of keywords in it? How do you do that? I want to improve my hubs' traffic. Thanks in advance!

1. lobobrandon profile image88
      lobobrandonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Just write naturally and wherever the keyword can fit to suit the text add it. Cags is right. Everyone has a different opinion.
      Trial and error leads to success

yui lockhartposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thank you! I am working on that.

2. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 12 years ago

Welcome to HubPages! smile

As for writing a "keyword-rich" article? Well, that is something you are going to have to test out for yourself. I don't mean to seem rude or uncaring, but as far as I know, there's a limit to how much you can "keyword" stuff into an article and there are many factors involved, such as one is the length of the article and the number of "keywords" you're attempting to use.

So, you would be best to do "trial"/"test" for yourself, because many people are only going to have various opinions on the subject.

Btw- if you "stuff" too many keywords into the wrong size article, HubPages is most likely going to let you know about it. Or at least I would think that HubPages has some system of moderation to detect such things.

Thanks for the tips. I don't know how to mix all the ideas I have on my head right now. I'm trying to do keyword searching and yet I can't find a way on how to do this.

3. Pearldiver profile image67
    Pearldiverposted 12 years ago

Use EXACTLY the same 'Stuffing' recipe for your Hubs, as you would for Cooking a Turkey that you expect to stay on your plate! smile

4. profile image0
    Sophia Angeliqueposted 12 years ago

yui lockhart

The general rule in the industry is 3% to 4% of your word count. Your keyword (more likely to comprise two or three words) will be successful depending on a number of factors. If there are 2 million people ahead of you using the same keyword, kiss it goodbye and write something else.

There are several factors that enable a piece to get to the top of Google.

As articles are pulled according to the keyword search. However which one gets to the top is the direct result of their popularity. Google looks to see which is the most popular article for that particular keyword and puts that on top. Essentially, if you're not on the first page, you're dead in the water.

Google looks at the length of time people stay on your page, so you will have to ways of getting people to stay on your pages.  While many people have spoken about backlinks, I don't bother. My personal opinion is a) it's too much trouble b) Google has a brain. They don't count the ones that come from unknown sites - they count them if you're mentioned by a major player c) I've managed to get to the top without them so I'm assuming there are other factors at play.

I think the most important thing for traffic is to try and figure out which topics draw traffic and which don't. I write some articles knowing full well that they're not going to draw traffic - except for those interested in that particular topic. And that's okay. Others I write because I know they will draw traffic. Try to stick to niche topics where no one else has written about it before.

Hope that helps.

5. yui lockhart profile image60

Sophia, thanks for your suggestion. I have been studying different tips now so I can get more readers to read my hubs. smile

1. Pearldiver profile image67
      Pearldiverposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The Turkey recipe suggestion works also.. but was perhaps too subtle smile

2. profile image0
      Sophia Angeliqueposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yui, I just took a look at your hubs. I'm guessing that you're not receiving much traffic.

Don't use words that people won't use to search for an article. Your title tag should consist of the keywords. Clue. Nobody is going to search for eye popping!

Next, you're writing about facebook. It is the most search for word on the internet. You're probably number 872 billion and a half. Don't bother writing about things where you have no chance of having any search engine bring up your stuff.

Next, you're obviously not English speaking and I can see that in your word order and your choice of words. Not sure whether you're using a translator but some of your word choices are decidedly odd, and people will pick that up.

Lastly, if you want to be read, you need to practice tight writing. People aren't interested in waffle - wordy conversations. They want info. You need to give as much info in as few words as possible.

If you can do that, you should be okay.

Yes you are right, I'm having troubles about the right choice of words. I can't just figure out what word I must use for a particular sentence and I am working on that. Thanks for the tips. I hope I can send you an email some time and talk about this? I really need some help. thanks !

6. yui lockhart profile image60

Pearldiver, yes you are right. I am taking writing as a mechanical exercise. I love math more than english so i take things mechanically. this is one of my weakest points so I am starting to develop it now before I graduate college. Thanks for the tips! I will keep them in mind.

1. Pearldiver profile image67
      Pearldiverposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Most Welcome... I HATED English and failed totally at it. It is a very hard language to learn.. Unless you look at it from outside of the box.. and to do that, one has to relax and enjoy the fact that many can't even see the box! smile
      Good Luck.. It's all about how you use your ability to be different - as opposed to being uniform in your approach!  Take care.

7. yui lockhart profile image60

thanks again! it is very nice of you sharing those tips. Hope I can keep up with you! smile take care also.

8. waynet profile image67
    waynetposted 12 years ago

Just write about what you know and the keywords should be in there with whatever niche you are writing about....but never stuff them with lots of keywords or else there will be no views at all!

Thanks waynet. That's the thing that goes on and on in my mind while writing hubs. Of course I want to get huge traffic and I am doing keyword research using google keyword tool. But I can't refrain myself from spamming my hub with keywords, thus I proofread it a lot of times.

2. Peter Hoggan profile image66
      Peter Hogganposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yep waynet is correct, there is no right keyword density however keyword stuffing should be avoided. Just write naturally and the keywords will fall onto the page without having to torture the English language in order to achieve some mythical ratio.

9. Mark Ewbie profile image81
    Mark Ewbieposted 12 years ago

I think I wrote a hub on this very subject. I'll go check.

edit: No, I didn't.  Bother.

Message me the link of your said hub. Thank you!

10. yui lockhart profile image60

Yes! and ofcourse keyword-rich article is useless if you don't have enough backlinks to make it popular on the web.

1. profile image0

Yui - depends on the article. I've got an article that has been rapidly rising over the last few weeks. At the moment, it is now approaching 800 hits per day. I don't have a single backlink to it. Actually, not a single one of my articles has backlinks. And my HP trafffic is 2% of my google traffic. I think backlinks only matter if you're competing with over used keywords and, to me, that isn't worth the effort.

1. Peter Hoggan profile image66

Sophia, although you have not personally created any links to your hub quiite a few have been created for you. HubPages does this automatically behind the scenes from tag pages, related hubs and other navigational elements.

If this wasn’t the case your hub might not be enjoying its current success. 800 hits per day, that’s impressive!

1. profile image0

Peter, if that were true, then everybody would be having the same rate of success. Also, I check out to see where the links are. I google my stuff every so often and I can't see any links. However, I'm still pretty dumb in much of this. Could you give me an example of where a link to any of my writings are that has been put there by HP?

Also, the particular piece that is getting 800 hits and climbing, was in my blog. It was getting just as many hits. My blog had nothing to do with HP. I moved the piece because payment was better.

What is true is that HP still has a fairly high ranking - but then so does Blogger.

11. Peter Hoggan profile image66
    Peter Hogganposted 12 years ago

Each hub will have different levels of success based on the competitiveness of the keywords they target. Google will not tell you where all your links come from.

An example of a link created by HP can be found at:
    http://hubpages.com/tag/beggars+persona … bility/hot

Sorry, I didn’t realize the post you were referring to was on your own blog.

1. profile image0

Peter Hoggan. That doesn't look like a link to me. It looked like you clicked on one of my tags and that brought it up. Apart from that, Google's algorithm doesn't consider a link within the same website to be a link of value.

I also write about SEO, Peter. http://www.hvacbusinesssolutions.com/hv … atters.htm

The article that is approaching 800 hits today is on Hub pages. It used to be on my blog. It used to get the same degree of traffic. In other words, it had nothing to do with backlinks to my article and it most certainly has nothing to do with HP putting a link somewhere on the web for me.

Peter, I've been on the web since 1995 which is when I learnt HTML. I have been writing on the web since 2000 and my articles consistently get Google, yahoo, and bing traffic. On occasion, some of my pieces have been picked up by high traffic site and they have provided me with a link. For the most part, there are other reasons that I get ranked for certain keywords.

The day after I wrote "Why I became a beggar," it was no 3 on bing for 'become a beggar' and No 3 on Google for the same keyphrase. I didn't pay much attention to Google, though, because Google weights what one is writing/searching for and gives you what they think you want to see. However, Bing is another matter.

My personal opinion is that backlinks don't matter half as much as people think they do, and that the length one has been on the web, the quality of one's article (in terms of keywords used consistently), the time people spend on one's site, and the bounce rate have more to do with it.

With that said, this is my opinion. I'm far from expert and battle as hard as anyone else to make a living. This month looks like the first month I will hit pay out in one month. I hope so. But we'll see.

Incidentally, my 'How I became a Beggar' is at 685 hits in under two weeks. I didn't use backlinks.  And while those aren't wonderful figures, it's okay.

2. profile image0

Peter, an addendum to the above. I find quite a few of my articles are sent to people via email and that people click on the email link. Fro that I deduce that my article was of sufficient interest for someone to think somebody else might want to read it. Whenever I write, I think of the people who are reading my work. I have the greatest of respect for all my readers - even when I dont agree with them.

I show that respect by writing in a way that they can understand, by providing evidence of what I'm saying, by considering their reading level, and a multitude of other things. All these things together, I think, are responsible for me getting some traffic.

1. Peter Hoggan profile image66

Yep I think you are a great writer, in fact one of your hubs deeply moved me.

It’s a link, on this occasion its one that is not indexed but if you look around you will find some tags pages that have been indexed. Searching on Google for allinurl:"hubpages.com/tag/" will highlight a few, with a bit of manipulation that search could also be used to search for tag pages that were already indexed to ensure that new hubs were given the best possible start in life.

From an SEO perspective, internal links are still links and they also count. For example, Google doesn’t simply favor index pages just because they are index pages. However you will find that index pages gain rankings quicker and easier than other pages because they tend have the most internal links pointing to them.

I agree that internal links do not carry the same weigh as external links, but they are still very valuable in my opinion. Site architecture, i.e. the way pages link together within a single domain can bring about significant improvements in rankings.   

But you are right there a more ways to attract visitors than just search engines.

1. profile image0

Peter, essentially I don't buy that i'm ranking because HP has provided one little backlink to my article. It truly isn't enough for me to rise to page one, and in some places to number one on Google, Yahoo, and Bing.

If you go to page 14 on this presentation, I show pictures of one of my articles ranking. I hadn't even joined HP at the time and that article ranked for years.

http://www.slideshare.net/Awriter/portfolio-7632999

12. Peter Hoggan profile image66

HP has probably done a lot more than provide one link, have you any idea how many other hubs link to yours via related hubs etc. or other tags pages? Your hubs also benefit from a well-established, trusted and authoritative domain (even though it’s still recovering from Panda).

Rankings are predominantly based on links. Trust and authority are heavily influenced by links. Pages can and do rank with just a few links if they are targeting noncompetitive keywords. These usually return very little from AdSense or anywhere else. For me, Traffic on its own is a vanity measurement with little meaning, what matters is how traffic converts either into AdSense clicks, leads or sales.

I don’t want to sound mercenary, but the money side of it is important to me. That said if I was to add up all the earnings I have made from HP it would barely make a single payout. On the other hand, the link juice that HubPages and other sites pass on to the sites I own have helped to provide me with a reasonably comfortable lifestyle.

1. profile image0

Peter, I understand that HubPages ranks well and that because it ranks well, I have an easier time for my articles for my articles to rank. That said, I'm sorry, but HP is not providing specific backlinks to my good pieces that is driving them up on Google, Yahoo, and Bing. Absolutely and utterly not. smile

If that was true, then those same articles, when I had them on other sites, would not have attained the same ranking. Those articles rank for other reasons.

I also don't buy that coincidentally, HP gave special attention to all those articles that did well for me on other sites, and they knew this (how, I wouldn't know) and made sure that they got an equal amount of traffic that they had on other sites before I moved them to HP.  I just don't believe that.

Today, so far, only 23 hits on my HP account is from hubpages. Sometimes it's more. Sometimes it's less. Everything else is coming from search engines. Annually, 85% of my traffic, according to Google Analytics is from organic searches.  The rest comes from emails and and where I've referred traffic from Google plus or interlinked my various hubs on HP.

There is no ways that HP is promoting my work to that extent. And there is no ways that they backlinking my work outside google. And I  do not buy that whatever links and references they make inside hubpages has any other purpose than to direct traffic within the site, and strengthen their ranking. I've worked for more than one SEO company, Peter.

Yes, I understand what you're saying about Adsense. However, that is not what we were talking about here. Yui was talking about traffic on THIS site, and Adsense over hear is negligible. As far as I can work out, currently there is a direct correlation between traffic and advertising revenue for HP.

While I understand that you're using HP to generate traffic to your other websites, that is not what we were talking about here.

This is my last post about this. smile

13. Peter Hoggan profile image66

It’s a pity you don’t wish to post further on this, I for one would like to know what is driving the traffic. If you haven’t built any links yourself, and HP is not supplying any links, what is driving your rankings?

I thought the responses I gave were for the most part about HP.

Anyway, your last comment makes me feel that I may have upset you in some way. I hope not, it certainly wasn’t my intention.

1. profile image0

Peter, I don't like to keep stating the same thing over and over again. It drains me. So, yes, it does upset me. Yes, there must definitely be other factors that are driving the traffic. I don't really know what they are. I write to a certain formula that works for me, and that's about it. Not every topic works, but I get it right enough times for me to think there's something in it. smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)