jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (6 posts)

Duplicate Content Question

1. BakingBread-101 profile image60
    BakingBread-101posted 5 years ago

I want to move content from my existing website (the domain name is about to expire and I don't plan to renew it) and I got a warning about duplicate content.  It is... but I'm taking the other website down in a couple of weeks.  What should I do?  I want to keep my articles online somewhere.  Thanks.

1. rbe0 profile image61
      rbe0posted 5 years agoin reply to this

Remove them from public domain, keep them privately stored where a search engine cannot access it for indexing.

2. mistyhorizon2003 profile image92
      mistyhorizon2003posted 5 years agoin reply to this

Use the Google Webmaster URL removal tool to de-index the old URLs. It only takes about 24 hours (you will need to unpublish them first on the original site). After this you can immediately republish them anywhere you like with new URL's:

https://www.google.com/webmasters/tools … mp;rlf=all

2. Peter Hoggan profile image76
    Peter Hogganposted 5 years ago

If they have any backlinks you could use a 301 redirect.

Depending on how long you have until your domain expires and If you have access to your server you could put a 301 redirect in place for each article that points search engines to their new location on HubPages. That should solve the duplicate content problem reasonably quickly and pass on the benefit of any links that are currently pointing to them.

If you do this I would also suggest you contact he HP team to let them know what’s happening just in case they have a problem with the 301.

How long till the domain expires?

1. BakingBread-101 profile image60
      BakingBread-101posted 5 years agoin reply to this

Only about 3 weeks.  It's an SBI site and I'm paying too much every month to keep the site up.  I'm not sure if I can do a 301 redirect there.

1. Peter Hoggan profile image76
        Peter Hogganposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Under the circumstances I think the solution offered by mistyhorizon2003 is the best option.

working