jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (10 posts)

Word Minimum and a New Feature

1. Seafarer Mama profile image88
    Seafarer Mamaposted 5 years ago

Why is it that the word minimum for a hub to receive any honor is 500? Is there a good reason for this other than elitism? I feel that if one can express what they have to say in 350 words, and express it well, why should that not be appreciated?

Perhaps we can have a "Micro Hub" category for hubs, especially short stories, that are less than 500 words. Any reason why not?  There is such a thing called "Micro Fiction," or aka "Flash Fiction."

1. Randy Godwin profile image91
      Randy Godwinposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Beware using the word "elitism" here on HP as it doesn't mean the same thing it does everywhere else.  Here, it means the "belief of greeting newcomers"!

ooooooxxxx0000OOOO(:c-<

2. relache profile image84
    relacheposted 5 years ago

The word minimums exist because of how Google looks at Hubs and determines value in content.  If search engines didn't put credibility in the length of original text on a web page, neither would HubPages.

1. paradigmsearch profile image84
      paradigmsearchposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Paradigmsearch is doomed...

1. Xenonlit profile image60
        Xenonlitposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Never! Paradigmsearch is a hub idol who is immune from such rulez. ha ha!

2. wheelinallover profile image81
      wheelinalloverposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Why am I being told in other platforms the minimum length should be 400 words? I know for many of the blogs I write they have a maximum length. They are telling me not to publish anything over a thousand words. They are also saying to cut "tags" to a minimum. This seems to be working with blogs outside hub pages. This includes those with less than 400 words.

Even a few of the newer hubs with a good summary are being picked up by search engines, with only three keyword phrases. I am also wondering why ads placed on ad boards which have under 200 words are being picked up by keywords and placed page 1 by Google?

1. Cardisa profile image91
        Cardisaposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Wheelinallover, we have to remember that HP isn't really a blog and maybe blogs have different rules.  Just saying.......

3. Seafarer Mama profile image88
    Seafarer Mamaposted 5 years ago

Thank you for pointing that out, Relache.

4. Xenonlit profile image60
    Xenonlitposted 5 years ago

My concern is with poetry where coming up with 500 words is not the norm. But I guess we can pad with artist statements about the poetry that ruins the vibe and the mojo.

1. Seafarer Mama profile image88
      Seafarer Mamaposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I agree with this concern.

working