jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (8 posts)

Hijacked content

1. Dubuquedogtrainer profile image60
    Dubuquedogtrainerposted 5 years ago

What do you do about someone who has hijacked your responses to a question they posed and your own hubs and incorporated them into a hub of their own?

2. Uninvited Writer profile image83
    Uninvited Writerposted 5 years ago

Well, questions are supposed to inspire people to create hubs so nothing wrong with that.

But then you also got answers when you asked the same question in this thread

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/97889

Dubuquedogtrainerposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I disagree. I think there is something wrong with stealing someone else's work. In fact, that is the reason we have copyright laws.

1. psycheskinner profile image80
        psycheskinnerposted 5 years agoin reply to this

You didn't specify whether they took you text word-for-word and outside of arguable fair use.  If they didn't, copyright was not infringed.

Dubuquedogtrainerposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I know about copyright - have been writing for 40 years and have registered copyrighted works.

2. Uninvited Writer profile image83
        Uninvited Writerposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Ideas cannot be copyrighted. I believe that once you post on someone else's hub or question that the content belongs to them.

3. psycheskinner profile image80
    psycheskinnerposted 5 years ago

Unless they took your prose and used it word for word: nothing.

4. Sally's Trove profile image85
    Sally's Troveposted 5 years ago

I have a new blog about meal planning for one. In that blog, I'm sharing my ideas with the billions of people who are on the net, and I fully expect them to make use of my ideas, maybe even turn them into a book that they will profit from. That's the way this world works, whether you're in a conference room sharing ideas with team members or publishing your ideas on the net (barring corporate confidentiality agreements, of course).

As Uninivited Writer said, ideas are not subject to copyright protection.

I look at this exchange of ideas in a positive way. Someone else's idea is fodder for my content, and the other way around. It makes the human experience palpable, bringing meaning to what it is to be alive.

On the other hand (addressing a question to you from psycheskinner that you have not answered), if someone steals my words from an article I've published under my own copyright, I'll be on their tail in a flat-a**ed minute.

working