- Education and Science»
- Colleges & University
Fun & Free SAT Words Starting with “D”
DISSEMBLE: to conceal
SAT Help from Friends & Seinfeld
Learn SAT words with characters from Friends and Seinfeld. These sentences, pictures and videos from pop culture can help you learn SAT words that start with "D." You'll also get unique practice questions. These sample SAT questions were written by a professional test writer (me) and can help you become familiar with SAT words in context.
SAT "D" Words
The SAT words explored here include: deleterious, deprecate, dissemble and dither. I also define diaphanous.
The DELETERIOUS effects of smoking tobacco
Jerry observes the deleterious effects of smoking upon Kramer's appearance. "Look at your face! It looks like an old catcher's mitt!"
Low-Flow Showerheads Have DELETERIOUS Effects Upon Hairdos
DELETERIOUS - adj. - harmful
- Cosmo Kramer expected smoking to cause emphysema but he didn't anticipate its deleterious effects upon his appearance.
- A woman at the frozen yogurt shop considered Jerry Seinfeld to be a deleterious influence after he cursed in front of her young son.
Sample SAT Question
Fill in the blanks.
Citing _______ effects upon the building's water supply, Jerry's superintendent _______ the removal of powerful showerheads.
(A) deleterious, circumvented
(B) remedial, fabricated
(C) deleterious, mandated
(D) fabricated, feigned
The best answer is C. (Remember to read all the choices!) Citing deleterious effects upon the building's water supply, Jerry's superintendent mandated the removal of powerful showerheads.
- Mandated means "ordered." (Something that is mandated is mandatory.)
- Circumvented means "went around."
- If something is remedial, it is designed to bring improvements.
- Something that's fabricated is manufactured or untrue.
- Feigned is synonymous with pretended or faked.
DEPRECATE: Jason Hanky Puts Down George Costanza
DEPRECATE - v - to belittle, to put down
Sample Sentences for Deprecate
- Before James Spader played the crude Robert California on , he was deprecating George Costanza on Seinfeld as Jason Hanky. The Office
- Although Frasier Crane makes many self-deprecating remarks, he seems to have an over-inflated ego.
Sample SAT Question
Fill in the blank.
When George asked Jason for an apology, the unrepentant man made yet another ________ remark.
The best answer is D, deprecating. Something that's orthodox is customary or conventional. If Jason had been conciliatory, he would have been trying to make up with George. Diaphanous means sheer and light and usually refers to see-through fabric.
DISSEMBLE - v - to conceal, to put on a pretense
Don't confuse dissemble with disassemble (to take apart). Here's a more complete definition:
- To conceal one's motives, feelings or beliefs
- To disguise or conceal (a feeling or intention)
Here's a sample sentence with a related video example:
Despite his professional training as an actor, Joey Tribbiani couldn't dissemble his excitement about a poker hand.
DISSEMBLE: Joey Tries to Hide a Winning Hand
Here's another example of dissemble in a sentence:
- Rachel dissembled her heartache when Ross, her longtime love, started to date Julie.
Sample SAT Questions
Here's a "dissemble" SAT question from 1926:
Which two of the following words are opposites or nearly opposites?
The best choices are options 2 and 3. Dissembling is the opposite of being sincere. Something that's torpid is inactive (e.g., a hibernating bear). An obedient person complies with orders.
Here's a question that uses the modern SAT format:
Fill in the blank.
As a teenager living on the streets of New York City, Phoebe was quick to ________ and swindled many innocent tourists.
The best answer is B, dissemble. To nullify is to make void. To presume is to make an assumption. To reiterate is to repeat.
DITHER: Jerry Is Indecisive About Alternate Babka
Jerry and Elaine don't buy the cinnamon babka right away; they dither because it might be "lesser babka."
DITHER - v. - to be indecisive
Sample Sentence Using Dither
Not knowing whether it was equivalent to chocolate babka, Jerry and Elaine dithered about buying the cinnamon babka.
Sample SAT Question Using Dither
Phoebe was simultaneously dating an attractive fireman and a sensitive teacher. She _______ about which man to date exclusively.
The best answer is B, dithered. Phoebe was indecisive about which man to date. Convoluted is an adjective that means "complex or twisted." Advocated means "to support and promote." Abrogated means "abolished."
That's the end of this SAT word review. See links below for more SAT definitions and sample sentences.
- Fun & Free SAT Words Starting with “A”
SAT word practice is most fun when it's free and features famous folks: Brangelina, President Obama, Michael Kelso, Sophia Petrillo and more. Get free SAT word lists, definitions and memorable examples via photos and video.
- Fun English Word Definitions A-Z: Part One
Enjoy these funny English words! Each fun word is defined and used in context.
- Flashcards - Free & Online
Use flashcards online and easily mark the cards that you need to review.