- Education and Science»
- Sociology & Anthropology
Gods of Egyptian Mythology
The Egyptian people left their faith up to the various Egyptian Gods. Like many mythological religions, the Egyptian faith was handled by several different gods.
The names of the Egyptian gods varied by location, but for the most part, below there is a list of the Egyptian gods.
- Aker- guardian of the rising and setting sun
- Amon- Theban king of the gods
- Ammut- demon
- Anqet- water goddess of Elephantine
- Anubis- god of mummification
- Apep- serpant who tried to destroy the sun on a daily basis
- Aten- disk of the sun
- Atum- god of the setting sun
- Bastet- goddess of the hom and sunlight
- Bat- ancient celestial cow (goddess)
- Bes- god of music and warfare
- Buto- goddess of Lower Egypt
- Duamutef- protector of the stomach of the deceased
- Geb- god of earth
- Hapi god of the Nile
- Hapy- protector of the lungs of the deceased
- Hathr- goddess of love, music, and women
- Heh- god of infinity
- Horus- god of the sun and the pharaohs
- Imsety- protector of the liver of the deceased
- Isis- goddess of magic
- Khepera- god of the rising sun
- Khnemu- god of the Nile and the Inundation
- Khonso- Theban god of the moon
- Ma'at- goddess of truth and order
- Meretseger- goddess of the Valley of Kings
- Meshkhent- goddess of children
- Mihos- son of Bastet
- Min- god of the male fertility
- Montu- god of war
- Mut- Theban mother- goddess
- Nefertem- Memphis god of the lotus
- Neith- goddess of war and weaving
- Nekhebet- goddess of Upper Egypt
- Nun- god of the primordial water of chaos
- Nut- goddess of the sky
- Onuris- warrior and the sky god of Abydos
- Osiris- Lord of the Afterlife
- Ptah- creator god of Memphis
- Qebehsenuef- protector of the intestines of the deceased
- Qetesh- Semetic goddess of nature
- Re- creator god of the sun
- Satet- goddess of the Nile floods and fertility
- Sekhmet- goddess of war and destruction
- Selket- goddess of magic
- Serapis- Hellenistic god of sun and the Afterlife
- Seshat- goddess of writing and measurement
- Set- god of storm and chaos
- Shu- god of the air
- Sobek- god of crocodiles
- Sokar- god of the Memphis Necropolis
- Sopdet- goddess of the star "Sirius"
- Tauret- goddess of women and home
- Tefnut- goddess of moisture and rain
- Thoth- god of widom and the moon
- Wepwawet- Usher of the dead
- Family Tree of Egyptian Mythology
Mythology can be so mixed up, especially when your brother is also your uncle. This is a simple to understand family tree for Egyptian mythology.
- Egyptian Mythology: The Creation Story
Although the creation story is varied, the general gist is quite the same. But, you will find both versions of the Egyptian creation story, either way.
- Egyptian Mythology: Osiris' Story
Osiris's story is actually pretty interesting, if you find being betrayed by your own brother, dying, and being brought back to life by your wife, interesting.
- Egyptian Mythology: The Great Quarrel
Every good myth has it's fights and arguments. Greek and Roman had a number of them. Egyptians have The Great Quarrel between Horus and Set.
- The Human Personality According to Egyptian Mythology
The Egyptians had a very interesting take on what makes up a man (or woman). There are 5 elements that make up a human.
- Egyptian Mythology: The Afterlife & Burial Practices
The afterlife was a very scary and hard time for Egyptians, so they kept very strict burial practices that would aid the Ba to its transformation into the Akh.