- Education and Science
Interactive Whiteboards-List of Best Websites, Games, and Free Resources for IWB Teachers
Interactive Whiteboards-New Teaching Age
Interactive whiteboards-SMARTboards, starboards, and the like-are the symbol of a new tech savvy age in teaching.
Its a new level of interactive learning and teaching.
It all sounds great, but man there is a learning curve! If you've been using one, I'm sure I can hear an Amen! right about now.
Now, a giant touchscreen "paint" and "presentation" program is great, but it is pretty dull without ready resources.
Resources include pre-made lesson files, software (such as Google Earth), and web-based activities that can be manipulated by touch.
This is my second year using an interactive whiteboard, and I've aquired a few favorite web based resources.
This hub will share those favorite resources with you!
History.com Game ScreenshotsClick thumbnail to view full-size
History.com Flash Games
One of my students' goals is for them to demonstrate that they can correctly name at least 90% of the states.
Another goal for my students is to master the U.S. Citizenship Test at 90% accuracy.
For both of these, I go to history.com and take advantage of the "Games" section.
1. Place that State!
- Drag and drop state challenge.
- Three levels: Beginner (relative location), Intermediate (absolute location), and Expert (absolute and state capital knowledge)
- Colorful, easy to manipulate on an interactive whiteboard.
2. State that Plate!
- Match state names with licence plates
- This one is difficult, but it gets students very familiar with the look and spelling of state names
- This is a good competition quiz because it is short and difficult-Students love to compete with the teacher (I suck at this one myself!)
3. U.S. Citizenship Quiz
- Includes the short and the full version (96 questions)
- Available in Spanish as well as English
This is an excellent site for interactive whiteboard learning!
Not only can you make quizzes-multiple choice or matching (based on an image you choose)-but there are hundreds and hundreds of already created quizzes.
I love the fact that you can use any image as a setting for the matching games. This can help create a continuity between lectures, textbook, and other materials because we can use the same image to learn off of.
I find this particularly useful for special education students.
Students can make their own quizzes!
Best of all-Its Free!
Textbook Companion Websites ResourcesClick thumbnail to view full-size
Use Free Quizzes and Resources from Textbook Publishers @ Their Textbook Companion Websites
Major textbook publishers usually have textbook companion websites with loads of free resources.
Pearson, for example, has a "Know it? Show It." quiz for many subjects that works well on an interactive whiteboard.
You do not have to have the textbook to use these resources!
These sites can be particularly helpful if you teach a class that does not have a dedicated textbook or if the textbook is so ancient that it is near worthless.
Learning goals and standards tend to be very similar accross the board-more so in recent years. This allows for lots of cross usage of textbook resources and materials!
Seriously! Check this out!
Interactive Whiteboard Resources & Featured Links
- Interactive Whiteboard Resources - List | Diigo
Kristin Hokanson's List: Interactive Whiteboard Resources - A list of resources to use with Interactive Whiteboards in the classroom
- Interactive Whiteboards Large List of Interactive Websites
- PurposeGames.com - Create & Play Online Games
Create and play educational quiz games, memorize maps to improve your knowledge in Geography, Science, History and other fields of interest.
- History.com History Made Every Day American & World History
Explore HISTORY shows, watch videos and full episodes, play games and access articles on historical topics at History.com.
- Pearson - Prentice Hall Companion Textbook Resources
- Educational Games
Nobelprize.org, The Official Web Site of the Nobel Prize
- Play Interactive Games, Puzzles, and Quizzes -- National Geographic Kids
Play fun online games that include action adventures, puzzles, quizzes, and much more!
- American Centuries: History and Art from New England
Explore artifacts from our museum and historic manuscripts from our library that reveal the history of New England.
- Count Us In Games
ABC New Media Education now gives you the Count Us In Games for teacher junior mathematics.
- Interactivate: Home Page
Java based interactive activities for math and science.
- Edheads - Activate Your Mind!
Edheads is a non-profit organization that provides free high quality educational activities on the Web at no cost to students or teachers. Edheads creates unique, educational Web experiences designed to make hard-to-teach concepts understandable.
- Free SMARTboard Notebook Lesson Files from Scholastic
Only compatible with SMARTboard brand interactive whiteboards
Sign Up @Hubpages
Comment Easier and/or Publish Your Stuff