- Education and Science
50 Trivia Conversation Starters
Much More Trivia
So you're at a party, feeling like a fifth wheel, not knowing what to say. Well if you have these tidbits of trivia with you and you'll be the hit of the party. You might want to take these other tidbits with you also, Trivia, Trivia And More Trivia and Trivia, Trivia, Trivia, We Love Trivia.
Let's get started.
50 Conversation Starters
- Canada is an Indian word meaning 'Big Village.'
- President Kennedy was the fastest random speaker in the world with upwards of 350 words per minute.
- The soft drink Coca-Cola originally contained cocaine.
- Brazil got it's name from the Nut, instead of the other way around.
- The rhinoceros's horn is made of the same stuff found in our hair and fingernails, keratin, it also contains gelatin.
- Fingernails and toenails takes about 6 months to grow from base to tip.
- Antarctica is the only continent without reptiles or snakes.
- Charlie Chaplin once won third prize in a Charlie Chaplin look-alike contest.
- A human loses around 100 strands of hair daily.
- The average human scalp has about 100,000 hairs.
- About 100 people choke to death on ball-point pens every year.
- Chewing gum while peeling onions will reduce your tears.
- Mosquitoes prefer children to adults, and blonds to brunettes.
- Beards are the fastest growing hairs on the human body.
- The Elephant is the only animal with 4 knees.
- In Italian: "Mafia" means "Beauty, Excellence and Bravery." "Cosa Nostra," means "Our Thing."
- Grapes explode when you put them in the microwave.
- Flower girls traditionally threw flower petals in the bride's path to lead her to a sweet, plentiful future.
- Whistler's Mother was not the name Whistler called his famous painting. The name he gave it was "Arrangement in Gray and Black."
- Istanbul Turkey is the only city in the world located on two Continents.
- The largest human organ is the skin, with a surface area of about 25 square feet, (2.3 square meters, and weighs about 5.6 lbs, (2.7 kilograms), for the average person.
- The largest recorded number of children born to one mother is 69. She had 16 pairs of twins, seven sets of triplets and 4 sets of quadruplets, all without In Vitro fertilization.
- Spain literally means, "The land of rabbits."
- The Siberian Tiger is the largest cat in the world, weighing up to 600 pounds, (300kg).
- The Cheetah can run 46 miles per hour, (76 kilometers per hour). The fastest human runs only 18 miles per hour, (76 kilometers per hour).
- In France, a five year old child can buy an alcoholic drink in a bar.
- Cats sleep 16 to 18 hours per day.
- Goats provide people the world over with more milk than any other domestic animal.
- There are no cemeteries in San Francisco, Ca, USA.
- In 1879, a mail service in Belgium employed 37 cats to carry bundles of letters to villages around the town of Liege, the cats, however, proved undisciplined so the experiment was scratched.
- The human brain is 80% water.
- A Kansas State, USA, law requires pedestrians crossing the highways at night to wear tail lights.
- All gondolas in Venice, Italy must be painted black, unless they belong to a high official.
- Ants never sleep.
- A rat can last longer without water than a camel.
- According to suicide statistics , Monday is the favored day for suicide.
- If a statue in the park of a person on a horse has both front legs in the air, the person died in battle; if the horse has one front leg in the air, the person died as a result of wounds received in battle: if the horse has all four legs on the ground, the person died of natural causes.
- Human tapeworms can grow up to 22.9m, (75 feet).
- The poisonous copperhead snake smells like fresh cut cucumbers.
- Women's heart beats faster than men's.
- In Texas, USA, an anti-crime law recently passed requires criminals to give their victims 24 hours notice, either orally or in writing, and to explain to nature of the crime to be committed.
- In the early days of the telephone, operators would pick up a call and use the phrase, "Well, are you there?" Somewhere around 1895 it was suggested, to answer the phone with, "number please."
- The only river that flows both north and south of the equator is the Congo. It crosses the equator twice.
- The citrus soda 7_UP was created in 1929; 7 was picked because the original containers were 7 ounces. UP indicated the direction of the bubble.
- A bird requires more food in proportion to its size than a baby or a cat.
- About on-tenth of the earth's surface is permanently covered with ice.
- Laughing lowers levels of stress hormones and strengthens the immune system. A 6 year old laughs an average of 300 times a day. Adults only laugh 15 to 100 times a day.
- Teeth cleaning has been traced back to the first tribes in Africa and Australia, however the Chinese was credited with inventing the bristle brush toothbrush.
- Only female mosquitoes bite. Females need the protein from blood to produce their eggs.
- The 57 on Heinz ketchup bottles represents the number of varieties of pickles the company once had.
So there it is, more trivia, do with it as you will. Now go, be the hit of the party, the star of the show, oh, just go and have fun with it.
- Trivia, Trivia And More Trivia
Well I did ask on the last hub did you want more. Although I didn't wait for your answer, it's here anyway. I am providing 50 more conversation starters. A 1951 census in India indicated there were...
- Trivia, Trivia, Trivia..............We Love Trivia
I love collecting useless tidbits of knowledge. Trivia always gives you something to talk about. With that statement, I'm about to give you 50 conversation starters. Each year 8800 people injure...
- Collection of Trivia Quiz
A growing collection of trivia quizzes: topics range from General knowledge, Mathematics, Science, Harry Potter quizzes, Filipino trivia quiz, Christmas trivia quiz and much more. Provided free and with answers.