Light coming from the Ultra Deep Field is how far away?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (16 posts)
  1. Sprinkler Man profile image57
    Sprinkler Manposted 15 years ago

And how long did it take to get here? Could it have been there all along and then the earth formed? Billions of years ago?

Does this make your feel tiny and insignificant considering how large and vast the universe is?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c … _field.jpg

This picture was taken from one small part of a larger picture and then blown up hundreds of times, this is from the darkest part of the main picture.

Isn't that an awful waste of space? Since we cannot be out there exploring different galaxies.

Enjoy

1. mohitmisra profile image60
      mohitmisraposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Mother Earth
      A tiny insect on her I am,
      Feeding me with her assorted jam.

I feel so tiny on this planet forget the universe. smile

Everything is alive ,this universe is alive and its not a waste of space  smile

2. profile image0
      Writer Riderposted 15 years agoin reply to this

It's only a matter of time till we do. After all, we went from light bulb to internet in little over a century.

2. knolyourself profile image59
    knolyourselfposted 15 years ago

That picture is a number of years old. It was said at the time to be the furthest out in the universe ever seen. Something like 13 billion years and the usual ten minutes before the big bang. Only trouble is looks like fully formed galaxies to me.

3. Sprinkler Man profile image57
    Sprinkler Manposted 15 years ago

As humans we can only think in terms of beginning and end. Isn't that weird that we cannot just think "is" or "forever" We have to put a time on everything. I wonder why? Maybe because we do not live in the vessel we are in for very long, compared to how old the universe "is"

There is no beginning or end with the universe. It just IS.

This big bang theory is just that a theory. It helps modern man cope with the fact that there had to have been a beginning. An explosion, an explosion of what and from what source did it explode? An explosion to me is something that is not controlled. Doesn't it seem like everything is where it should be?

Any thoughts?

1. profile image0
      sandra rinckposted 15 years agoin reply to this

What makes my heart skip a beat when it comes to space is that it really is possible that "nothing" can "not" exist...however that works out! smile 

That picture that you have up is just one ultra deep field of so many.  Did you know that the farthest known point in the Universe which "seems" void of anything at all is actually the North Star?  And that the start that most people refer to as the North Star is actually called Syrius?

Whether or not the explosion of the Big Bang was controlled or not, to be controlled would mean that there were other "things" floating around out there that would have guided the debris or elements to their destinations, which you would have to question what there could be when it really does seem as though it shot out in every direction unless that is if our universe is some weird plain compressed in an even bigger and "more infinate" Universe or we are just sitting in yet another black hole.

Ehh, there are so many possibilities that we couldn't even get our minds around that either.  Fun stuff though. 

Something that boggled my mind the other day though. 

Constellations. It was always my understanding that all the stars were fixed and that we move; I think most people think this, but...

The other night I was looking at an red giant outside on my patio.  I noted it position which was just ahead of Orion's bow and near the northern tip of the little dipper and Orion was just behind the apartments next to me so I could see half of him. 

A couple hours later I looked at the red giant again, this one has two smaller stars close to it, (which is how I could find it again couple with it location to LD)  Anyways what struck me was that the Red Giant star and two smaller stars that I was looking at didn't move but Orion did.

????

TMG, I need answers.  Can you ask your friends about this for me please.  smile

4. knolyourself profile image59

"forever" can be conceived of as the continuous cycles of birth, existence, disentegration and regeneration. Trees conceivably could continue to exist forever, as long as the planet maintained its livable environment, or planetary orbital stablility around the sun.

5. knolyourself profile image59

"I feel so tiny on this planet forget the universe."
    Or you could feel as big as the universe itself. Or is that egotistical.

1. Sufidreamer profile image77
      Sufidreamerposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Nope - just a different viewpoint. smile

1. profile image0

speaking of different viewpoints, next time you are out under the stars, lay down and pretend you are looking down on them.  wink

6. Sufidreamer profile image77
    Sufidreamerposted 15 years ago

OK, but if I fall off the planet, I will never forgive you!

1. profile image0

not to worry Sufi I will catchya!  smile

7. mdvaldosta profile image61
    mdvaldostaposted 15 years ago

It's awe inspiring, and amazing. But I don't forsee us exploring galaxies millions of lightyears away... ever.

1. profile image0

I don't know about that.  Scientist are actually practicing how to bend space as we speak, so these far off galaxy explorations don't seem so far fetched.

8. profile image59
    naslund26posted 15 years ago

We must first knock knock knock on marses door first before we reach any other far off gallaxie to study.But yes i think it is possible maybee not in the next 30 to 40 years, but therafter when humans can harness electromagnitisum to travel to these far off spaces. not sure if electromagnitisum is spelled correctly sorry poor speller thanks.

9. profile image59
    naslund26posted 15 years ago

Sandra you seem to be well informed i like the cut of your jib.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)