jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

Higgs Field

1. wtaylorjr2001 profile image77
    wtaylorjr2001posted 5 years ago

If this universe is ultimately composed of fluctuations in the Higg's Field through time (I believe Bosons are an example of those fluctuations.), if one were to postulate a different set of fluctuations would one be postulating a different universe?

2. knolyourself profile image60
    knolyourselfposted 5 years ago

"In their massless shape the gauge field quanta are undetectable - so it is currently an open question whether the gauge fields actually are of physical relevance or just mathematical entities. Nevertheless, it is the consensus that the theory about the Higgs mechanism is the one theory that fits best with everything else known to quantum physics."
    If you can postulate the one you can postulate the other.

1. wtaylorjr2001 profile image77
      wtaylorjr2001posted 5 years agoin reply to this

Please tell me where that quote is from. Also isn't gauge field theory a theory describing a specific set of fluctuations in the Higgs Field? Fluctuations dealing with quantum gravity? Excuse the novice question as I'm learning here. The way I understood it was that the Higgs Field gives rise to all of the elementary particle, it is a unifying concept.

3. knolyourself profile image60
    knolyourselfposted 5 years ago

I don't know - the quote was arbitrary off a google page. I was just illustrating that it is all theory and no evidence as yet, having to do with fluctuations of nothing as something, called a boson in a vacuum, otherwise called the God Particle.
    "The Higgs boson or Higgs particle is an elementary particle in the Standard Model of particle physics. It is the last unobserved particle of that model and has been predicted to exist since the 1960s. It may have been detected at the Large Hadron Collider in 2012. Proving its existence would settle questions about the existence of the extremely significant"
    "It may have been detected "

working