jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (10 posts)

You are participating in a race. You overtake the second person. What position a

1. profile image40
    sunilbharposted 8 years ago

You are participating in a race. You overtake the second person. What position are you in?

2. wandererh profile image75
    wandererhposted 8 years ago

Much as I would like to say that I am in first place, but I would just be in second place.  smile

3. Answer Man profile image60
    Answer Manposted 8 years ago

In the first place, I never race, unless it's camel-racing, but I think you are talking about a foot-race.  Dare I say?

I think this is what you call a 'logic puzzle'.  Am I wrong?

So there is a trick to it.

Correct?

What's the trick?  Obviously if you are in a race and you overtake the other person, you are assuming you are racing against another 'person'.  But, let's pause and examine this more closely.

Pass me my magnifying glass...a yes...ah well...now I see!  There is some mustard on my tie from the hotdog I had for lunch--those magnifying glasses are great for discovering things like that.

But as to the "puzzle". Let us get back to that. Let us not be distracted from this mental-challenge posed to titillate our little 'grey cells'.

So here's the situation. You have me. You have you. We are racing. But wait, who shot the 'starter's gun'? 

There MUST be a third person!

Ah ha! Now I we are getting somewhere.

The mysterious third person.  Who is he? Or she? He has a starter's pistol, we know that! 

Perhaps they use it to shoot you so that I win the race. They will if I pay them enough. In which case, when I overtake you I am doing it "over your dead body". 

So I win. Where's my winners' purse?

What was the question, anyway...

4. RedElf profile image89
    RedElfposted 8 years ago

Sorry, lindagoffigan, but wandererh is correct - passing the person in second place only puts you in second place. You have to pass whoever is in first place to be in first pace...but I like the Answer MAn's answer best lol

5. Daniel Carter profile image77
    Daniel Carterposted 8 years ago

I believe the correct logic in wording would be "replace." You overtake, which in this case means replace, putting you in second place. Yes?

6. profile image0
    R.G. San Ramonposted 8 years ago

There are many ways to answer this. First, if you imagine the second person and the first person running in front of you, you get the idea that you belong to the third spot, and overtaking that second person lands you the same position. On the other hand, if you're not apt to using visualization techniques, a simple logic would do: wait for the finish line!

7. webkrazee profile image60
    webkrazeeposted 8 years ago

There are actually two answers, first your position is in front of the second person since you overtook him, not saying what place you are in. Second position would be in a runner's motion.

8. profile image44
    buddybarbeeposted 7 years ago

Assuming no tricks associated with the imprecise wording of this question, the answer, which no one else has answered correctly that I can see,  is :

Either first or second.

If you are racing a second person and there are no other participants, when you overtake the second person, you are in first place.

If you are racing more than one other person and overtake the second person  you become the new second place racer.

9. profile image46
    dodgydaveposted 7 years ago

you are in first place obviously lol,
    seeing the person you have overtaken has to be in second place still.

10. Shahid Bukhari profile image59
    Shahid Bukhariposted 7 years ago

Why dont you simply post a regular Test ... why go through the trouble of asking... what is the one overtaking the last person, or the one overtaking the leader in a race ... called  ... type of questions.

working