How long does an Employer have to appeal an Unemployment Insurance claim?

1. profile image45
    CsguyinORposted 8 years ago

How long does an Employer have to appeal an Unemployment Insurance claim?

I was recently approved for Unemployment Benefits becasue my employer failed to respond to the given letter.  Are they allowed to appeal without responding in the first place?  If so, how long do they have to appeal it?

2. lurchthing profile image54
    lurchthingposted 8 years ago

each state has diffrent rules on that...because i dont know where you live i cant give you a direct answere to your question

3. EtselecMik profile image54
    EtselecMikposted 8 years ago

As indicated by lurchting above, "each state has different rules . . ."   Most do have an appeals process, which, can take quite a bit of time.  Each party (you and the employer) has a chance to appeal the decisions.  Keep in mind that if your employer is appealing your unemployment benefits and they win the final decision, then any benefit amounts that have already been paid to you from that claim will have to be paid back by you.  As indicated in a previous answer posting, I know someone very closely who was fired and had this happen to her.  She had to payback over $3K in benefits paid to her.  She had to wait until she found another job and the state garnished her paycheck until it was paid back with interest.

working