jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

Do you think it's right to have a dress code at a college?

1. lakeida profile image53
    lakeidaposted 8 years ago

Do you think it's right to have a dress code at a college?

2. CulinarianNotes profile image60
    CulinarianNotesposted 8 years ago

I think, in a sense, it's right to have a dress code. In college, we're all adults; and we should dress like it. For instance, nothing extremely revealing..That could distract other students from the class or their studies. I don't think that colleges have the right to regulate certain things such as piercings, visible tattoos, hair color (pink, purple, etc) however. Offensive tee shirts are also another point that colleges are struggling with. In a college, we (the students) all come from different backgrounds, and we're ethnically diverse. Unfortunately, there are offensive tee shirts out there that insult other races and ethnicities; I personally feel that those should be banned.

3. Kebennett1 profile image60
    Kebennett1posted 8 years ago

It is necessary only because some students do not have enough common sense to dress appropriately for a collegiate setting. This is a place of adult higher learning, where maturity is supposed to be a part of the students life. It is unfortunate that many female students still wear revealing clothing such as cleavage happy tops, or shorts and skirts that are too short.  Mean wear pants and shorts that fall to their knees showing their boxers.
    This type of dress is ridiculous under any circumstances, but in what is supposed to be an atmosphere of maturity for higher education it is flat deplorable.

4. 1kmjs profile image80
    1kmjsposted 8 years ago

I dont like the fact that you cant express yourself through fashion, but I think its good for it makes the individual have to stand out with thier personality and not thier flare. Its good for thier overall development, but very boring. So I vote NO.
    At the college level your adults, and shouldn't have to conform to a structured set of rules, we are all aware of right vs. wrong and whats tasefull, and if not, then we pry cannot be saved. Its time for children to become adults and become themselves, make mistakes and grow.

5. Caleb Anderson profile image60
    Caleb Andersonposted 8 years ago

I don't think so. With the amount of money students are paying to attend college they should be able to wear whatever they want.

6. ambersagen profile image64
    ambersagenposted 7 years ago

I think it's fine to have a dress code. After all, we are adults and no one is making us attend college. If we want to go to a specific college we agree to stand by their rules. It has both benefits and drawbacks, and whether having a dress code best represents the college is for the college administrators do choose.

7. kj force profile image72
    kj forceposted 3 years ago

Usually by college age, the " adult" syndrome should have set in....I don't recall it being such an important issue...but the teen years seem to be more prevalent due to this age discovering and wanting to express who they are...not babies...not totally adult....to many hormones and issues to deal with, found a bit overwhelming....

working