jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

I started home-schooling my Kindergartner this year and my preK as well. Everyth

1. profile image45
    i8ajellybeanposted 8 years ago

I started home-schooling my Kindergartner this year and my preK as well. Everything is going...

well and we are all pleased. But my issue is that my 6year old keeps asking when she is going to go to school? I've explained many times that she is in school at home, but everyone she talks to (adults AND children) asks her about school. And at church in August it's all about going to a new school, new teachers, new year, etc.
    How do I answer her so she can understand? My main reasons revolve around the poor quality of education in the schools (here they give the parents a list at the beginning of the year of items to provide for the class...including toilet paper and kleenex for K-12!). And

2. mpurcell10 profile image56
    mpurcell10posted 8 years ago

I have homeschooled for 14 years and know what you are going threw. I taught my kids to just say what they are learning in school like how to read ot subtraction and say my mommy is my teacher. The price of school has gone crazy.

3. profile image0
    WildIrisposted 8 years ago

Does your daughter understand the difference between going to school, riding the school bus,and sitting in a classroom compared to staying home and learning.  My six-year-old knows the difference so it is easier for her to answer these types of questions from strangers and friends. When the new school year rolls around we go school shopping just like everyone else. When people ask about getting ready for the new year or, "What grade are you in? Where do you go to school?" she responds with total confidence that she is home schooled and that confidence stops anymore questions.

4. Everyday_mom profile image61
    Everyday_momposted 8 years ago

I had had my share of these. I would continuously explain to her that she is home schooled thus she has her studies at home.

By "keeps asking when she is going to school" may mean that she is longing for groups of friends.

Does she has any home school clubs where she can reconnects with friends her age?

Children longs for friendships and by joining home school clubs or forming one of your own meet ups , say twice a month can fill this gap indefinately.

I hope this helps.