jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

With poverty the way it is in these third world countries, shouldn't we be passi

1. K Partin profile image58
    K Partinposted 7 years ago

With poverty the way it is in these third world countries, shouldn't we be passing out condoms too??

These people can't help themselves but they know how to keep having babies. Babies that are starving and dependent on other countries. Is this fair to the innocent children who have no say??

2. dabeaner profile image57
    dabeanerposted 7 years ago

Condoms won't work.  Spaying and neutering, that's the ticket.

3. Springboard profile image81
    Springboardposted 7 years ago

Do you really believe they would use them? I hardly think so. Most babies born out of wedlock in any society are born of irresponsible parents—and in many instances situations where fathers don't hang around. They KNOW they won't hang around, they KNOW it's easy to not have to rear the child or help the child financially...

What is their incentive to care enough to put on a condom even if it's offered to them?

4. Lady_E profile image74
    Lady_Eposted 7 years ago

Interesting question...

However, I think you should consider dealing with the numerous, sexual diseases transmitted in "first World" countries, before slagging off other countries.

Best Wishes!

5. ptosis profile image72
    ptosisposted 7 years ago

I suggest reading the book by Steven E. Landsburg, 'The Big Questions, Tackling the Problems of Philosopy with Idea from Mathematics, Economics, and Physics'.

In Chapter 13 on page 123, he wrote; "Thoughout the year 2004, the one million residents of Benares, India, went through about six hundred thousand condoms a day. Most of those condoms, (provided free by the Indian government0 were used not for family planning or disease prevention, but to lubricate the city's two hundred thousand looms. Weaver too the free condoms, rubbed them on the loom's shuttles, and discarded the latex."

This is a VERY good book and the chapter I wish every one would read is the chapter titled "How Big of  a Jerk Are You?

6. kcreery profile image60
    kcreeryposted 7 years ago

Some families rely on the children to help the family work for food and shelter.  We should focus on eliminating homelessness, poverty and child poverty and malnourishment within North America before we tell the third world countries what to do.

working