what is subdivision

1. profile image44
    keydiwayposted 7 years ago

what is subdivision

2. Springboard profile image80
    Springboardposted 7 years ago

A 'subdivision' is a tract of land that is subdivided into smaller lots to be sold, typically for houses to be built on them.

For example. I buy a 4 acre lot of land, and then decide to subdivide it. I turn the 4 acre lot into 16 quarter-acre lots for sale.

A subdivision is also a term we use to describe a tract of land that has already been built on and subdivided.

In the United States, subdividing lots would be subject to local zoning laws.

3. Wayne Brown profile image85
    Wayne Brownposted 7 years ago

In real estate property terms, a subdivision is a "sub-development" of a larger division of property.  The term becomes easier to understand if you imagine a 1000 acre tract of land that has been zone for both commercial and residential use. A developer may come to the area, choose a 100 acre tract of the land, and build single family houses on it.  This "development" becomes a "subdivision" of the overall development and it may actually have a name like "Paradise Acres".  A person living there then might say, "I live in the Paradise Acres subdivision. Thanks. WB

working