Advice for Future Math Major from People Who've "Been There"?

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (6 posts)
  1. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

A high-school student asked for my opinion on selecting a minor; but since I've never worked in a math-related field I'm not the one to even be able to offer any specific resources for people trying to make this decision.

Here's the question:

"....I have an interest in mathematics and I will be taking ap calculus in my senior year. I am a fairly good student in math. In my junior year, I took geometry and pre-cal. I got a low B in geometry and low A in pre-cal. My main reason for emailing you is that I am confused about what minor i should take if I wanted to major in math. The minors would be between two choices either business or technology such as acccounting or computer science. I would be grateful if you had any personal advice about the two or anything else...."

Does anyone who has experience with majoring in math, working in any of the areas mentioned, etc. have ideas or suggestions for resources?  How about people familiar with trends in what's likely to offer the best options for upcoming students?   Thanks on behalf of the young woman trying to decide.   smile

2. BrianFanslau profile image59
    BrianFanslauposted 14 years ago

I would say that it truly depends on their interest and what they would use their math skills for.

Ask her if she wants to work in business. Is she someone who has "internal drive" (motivated and takes action) Does she like business or would she rather interpret numbers from the field.

once you know what she desires to accomplish a minor is perfect for pointing out what someone side passion is for.

When I went to Bethel I was a Marketing/Business Major and I took many side classes that interested me. Like psychology and Entrepreneurship courses along with a smattering of business management courses. They never led to a minor for me but I had collective knowledge from them and they do help with your resume'

Ultimately it takes an individuals own drive to learn outside of the classroom I believe for them to accomplish their goals in life. Learning never ended for me when I finished from Bethel in fact I've spent nearly 100-200$ on various books each month and have felt more empowered from taking the initiative myself to learn and improve myself rather than more pieces of paper that cost thousands of dollars to say I learned what I have from those books.

1. Jane@CM profile image59
      Jane@CMposted 14 years agoin reply to this

BRIAN, I just looked at your profile, we are neighbors!  I saw that you had gone to Bethel, and thought, I wonder if its the same "Bethel"  too funny!

As far as a math minor goes, have her check with the colleges she is interested in, many who are interested in an engineering degree are not allowed to minor in math.

3. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

Brian, I'll say "thanks for taking the time to answer" for her.   smile

4. Colebabie profile image61
    Colebabieposted 14 years ago

I would tell her to look at the college as well. See what minors they even have available and what kinds of programs they are. Also see what kind of program her major will be in, as she may not have time for a minor. Or maybe they offer a BS/MS program that would better suit her. Then I would tell her to go as specific as possible without limiting when she can take courses. Does that make sense? She wants to stand out and be unique, but she doesn't want to have to stay there for an extra year because her major is so specific they only offer a course every once in a blue moon.

I started out minoring in Spanish. But honestly being a science major and working is quite enough smile

5. MontyApollo profile image59
    MontyApolloposted 14 years ago

I would say a low B grade in Geometry your junior year might be an area of concern for a math major. Two reasons:

1. Geometry in high school is all about proofs, and when you start taking pure math in college there will be a lot of things to prove

2. Math people often take Geometry freshman year because they are advanced. When I was in school the average students took it sophomore year.

This is not to discourage anybody, but it will give you an idea of what to expect.

Career-wise for a math major, becoming an actuary is usually the most lucrative, and you might not have to be so much of a pure math guy to do this because it combines business, finance, and statistics.

The other thing to consider is that if you like math, then an engineering degree is usually in high demand. You are also doing applied math rather than pure math, which is easier for some.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)