jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

Do you believe that a person can actually be hypnotized? Why?

1. Wayne Brown profile image82
    Wayne Brownposted 7 years ago

Do you believe that a person can actually be hypnotized? Why?

2. Silver Poet profile image75
    Silver Poetposted 7 years ago

Supposedly a person can only be hypnotized if he or she allows it to happen.

3. The mind man profile image55
    The mind manposted 7 years ago

You are in a state of trance many times during the day and you do not even realize it Wayne. As a regularly used example look at times when you drive a well known route, sometimes when you arrive at your destination you have no recollection of your journey. This was your subconscious taking over while you thought of other things.

Although that is not exactly hypnosis it just goes to show that your subconscious can do things without your conscious help. The job of the hypnotherapist is to help direct your subconscious to productive things.

As a No1 resource I would recommend 'British hypnosis research' A site run by Stephen Brooks, a man taught by the great Milton Erickson.

4. xpertbee profile image61
    xpertbeeposted 7 years ago

yes, but some people might not be because they refused to be or their senses are stronger than the power of hypnotism.

5. guzie profile image60
    guzieposted 7 years ago

Of course anyone can be hypnotized...the younger, inexperienced  or easily persuaded person are susceptible to hypnotism.

At least this has been my experience with this.

6. AdamShermer profile image58
    AdamShermerposted 7 years ago

I have seen a person hypnotized but never been or never tried it myself. It seems that the solution is to be hypnotized yourself. Then you will now if it is real or just an act.

7. MPG1 profile image77
    MPG1posted 7 years ago

I know for a fact someone can. For several years my parents had a hypnotherapy practice. The way it works is to relax someone to a point where their waking mind is just about asleep allowing their subconscious to come out more. In other words it is a form of meditation.

Also there is such a thing as self hypnosis and there are times that people have even hypnotized themselves. For example if you have ever been driving on a road you have done many times and then realize that you are there yet realize do not remember most of the trip there just as you are getting to your destination?  This "road hypnosis" is a bit of a trance meditation.

Finally as for those stage show guys who hypnotize people most of them are fakes. It is possible to hypnotize someone quickly like that but to do so they would have had to hypnotize them before making the people that go on stage almost like plants.  Also for the few that do hypnotize people on stage that quickly they are looking for people who are willing to be hypnotized because to be hypnotized you need to want to be. So their finding willing people makes it easy to pull them into a trance.

8. goody6 profile image52
    goody6posted 7 years ago

no, but I think a person can be influenced