jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (10 posts)

What are some common superstitions that you still find yourself succumbing to?

1. Gina Welds-Hulse profile image94
    Gina Welds-Hulseposted 20 months ago

What are some common superstitions that you still find yourself succumbing to?

We say "bless you" when someone sneezes, or "knock on wood" when we hope to not be disappointed....or we don't open umbrellas indoor.

Why do we do these things? Is it out of habit or are these things so ingrained in us that we believe them?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/13147655_f260.jpg

2. profile image0
    Cissy1946posted 20 months ago

I don't walk under ladders--especially ones being used for painting...

Gina Welds-Hulseposted 20 months agoin reply to this

Is that because you're afraid of what might happen to you, to the person who is using the ladder for painting, or both?

2. profile image0
      Cissy1946posted 20 months agoin reply to this

If I walked under a ladder and there was a paint can sitting on it, it would tilt and splash down on me without any provocation or assistance. Then it would right itself and act as though it was innocent. Paint cans are not innocent...

3. Gina Welds-Hulse profile image94

I chuckled at that one, Cecilia!

3. gmwilliams profile image85
    gmwilliamsposted 20 months ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/13151371_f260.jpg

Most of us w/very little exception are superstitious to some point.  Some are overtly superstitious, believing in charms, Friday the 13th, & other arcane superstitions.  There are others who believe in more covert superstitions such as organized religions, hell, the number 666, & the Devil.  Many more believe that nighttime, especially 3 a.m., is a time to be feared.  A majority of us have superstitions which are either overt or covert. 

There are those who feel that if they wake up at 3 a.m., there will be someone or something ominous......THERE.  So they pray to "ward" off "THE INFLUENCE."   Many believe in luck & good fortune.  They proclaim that in order to things to occur, luck &/or good fortune plays an instrumental part.  There are people who believe that one is preordained to be either blessed......or cursed.   There are those who refuse to travel on Friday the 13th for they believe that something quite evil will occur. 

There are some who use religion as a good luck piece.  They use the instruments of their particular religion to ensure that they will always have good luck.  They even use their religion to protect themselves against evil i.e. having a cross &/or another amulet by their bedsides.  Some go further to wear their religious symbols as constant protection & positive reinforcement.

Others may use objects or furniture to ward off evil & to ensure good luck.  However, in the 21st century, people are becoming more rational & logical thus discarding primitive, atavistic superstitions.  But in our subconscious, there exist a primordial mind where the superstitions of our ancestors......STILL REIGN..............only to be.....RELEASED.......at the most terrifying or unguarded......MOMENT........B-E-W-A-R-E.......Booga, booga......boo-GAAAHHH......

This is interesting....I never thought of putting items like crosses or prayer beads into a "superstitious" category.

4. Gina Welds-Hulse profile image94
    Gina Welds-Hulseposted 20 months ago

Grace Marguerite, I started watching the show, "Salem" a few months ago.  I remember thinking how grateful I was that I was not born during that time, as many of the things I do such as burning essential oils, and making herbal concoctions would have caused me to be hung or burnt at the stake.
    You are right, and I am grateful, that "in the 21st century, people are becoming more rational & logical thus discarding primitive, atavistic superstitions. But in our subconscious, there exist a primordial mind where the superstitions of our ancestors......STILL REIGN..............only to be.....RELEASED.......at the most terrifying or unguarded......MOMENT........B-E-W-A-R-E."

1. gmwilliams profile image85
      gmwilliamsposted 20 months agoin reply to this

Exactly, in our subconscious, primordial parts of our brains, there exist a superstitious mind.   We humans aren't entirely free of superstitions yet.  Oh by the way, Salem is one of my favorite shows & so is Penny Dreadful....LOVE it!

5. CYong74 profile image98
    CYong74posted 19 months ago

Us Chinese have this superstition about not stepping on offerings meant to be burnt for the dead. I strictly adhere to that.

working