jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Do you prefer the imperial or metric system? Why?

1. Cordlessaccount profile image64
    Cordlessaccountposted 7 years ago

Do you prefer the imperial or metric system? Why?

2. profile image0
    Giselle Maineposted 7 years ago

Definitely metric!  I like metric units because they are divisible into smaller units by a factor of 10 or 100, so it makes doing math easier (e.g. at the supermarket, when comparing prices).  Also, I love the fact that 1 cubic centimeter of water = 1 ml = 1g.  You can interconvert (at least with water) between different measurements tht way, and at least get a 'ball-park' estimate for other liquids.  You can't do it that easily with imperial!  Also, if knitting or sewing, it is much easier to deal with small measurements in millimeters instead of in fractions of an inch which can get confusing when adding.

3. Zazuzu profile image82
    Zazuzuposted 7 years ago

I like working with the metric system for similar reasons as Gisselle Maine. However, i grew up in the US using the Imperial system so after I'm done, i usually have to convert back into imperial so I can have a better sense of the size/volume/speed I calculate.

4. psycheskinner profile image82
    psycheskinnerposted 7 years ago

The metric system is simpler and easier once you get used to it.

5. wilbury4 profile image71
    wilbury4posted 7 years ago

The metric system is by far the easiest to work with due to standard units being multiplied by 1000 to reach the next standard. ie 1000 milimetres = 1 metre, 1000 metres = 1 kilometre; Saying that, I still prefer a pint of cold beer! I prefer to know my speed in miles per hour! I measure my height in feet and inches! I prefer knowing my weight in stones and pounds!
    Will we ever totally convert to the metric system?

6. nightwork4 profile image59
    nightwork4posted 7 years ago

metric by far. it's easier to use and more accurate in most cases.