jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Why do people use an Avitar or fake picture?

1. Katharella profile image82
    Katharellaposted 6 years ago

Why do people use an Avitar or fake picture?

I prefer followers who I can see who they are, and I know they aren't a bot. Do others feel this way?

2. Buffoon profile image81
    Buffoonposted 6 years ago

Nope, don't feel the same way at all, and I don't know about why others don't use their real photos, but I've two reasons:

#1 I don't want my mug shot to be circulating all over the net without any control nor say on my part.

#2 Writing or posting anything online is for a buck here and there, and for that nobody needs to see the looks of me.

I reckon if one is here for the social aspect, then maybe a photo makes better sense. Dunno smile

3. lime light power profile image60
    lime light powerposted 6 years ago

Absolutely right. If you are on a site to be social, then a personal photo works great. If you are on a site for writing, informing, learning, etc, then maybe any other image is best and maintaining privacy is never a bad thing.

4. Tamila Roberts profile image34
    Tamila Robertsposted 6 years ago

Yes, this is true. but, many of people seem to hide behind avatar's to protect their privacy. Imagine if your whole life was on the Internet? How would that be gratifying to allow real people to flame your real mugshot on a virtual page?

5. RealHousewife profile image78
    RealHousewifeposted 6 years ago

I like to see the real person but in some cases I see why others choose to remain anonymous. For instance a doctor may be concerned about confidentiality and that is understandable. A teacher may also be concerned about privacy for many reasons too.  Some people could possibly get fired for things they put in print regardless of the real intention so I guess it might be freedom of expression that makes the person want privacy so thet can still speak honestly without fear of repercussion.