jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

How can we make online education more effective?

1. Andrea Hildreth profile image57
    Andrea Hildrethposted 6 years ago

How can we make online education more effective?

Effective can mean: engages the student's interest, reduces the number of students who drop-out, achieves the academic goal, encourages further exploration by the student.

2. dansdrumlessons profile image37
    dansdrumlessonsposted 6 years ago

Hi Andrea,
    Thats a really huge question!

I've been teaching people of all ages for just over ten years and i have to say the older ones seem more interested to learn. I honestly believe this generation is becoming kinda lazy with everything just a click away for them i.e. 1,000 TV channels (I remember when there were only three) and computer games seem to be the distraction for most.
    As teachers we can only encourage but once the student(s) are back home they can do whatever they wat to, and practicing an instrument for example seems hard work to them but pressing play on their xbox or ps3 is much easier and far more enjoyable IN THE SHORT TERM.
    Going back a couple of decades and we would look forward to lessons and wanted to achieve more to become a better person but unfortunately it seems we cannot make them learn.
    It is however always nice when a student does shine through and want to do well but they are few and far between.

Thats just my two cents smile

3. lburmaster profile image82
    lburmasterposted 6 years ago

By being organized. I'm a student who loves online classes, when the teacher knows how to teach online that is. Some educators just can't teach online. It is not because they don't know the matterial, it is because they need a class room for their work.
    Don't file everything on one page. Don't even file them under "Unit 1" or "Lesson 1". Put them under "Week 1". The human mind doesn't know how long a unit or lesson will go for. Most students will try to do an entire lesson in one sitting when they should pace themselves. Students know how long a week is and it is easier for them to think of.
    Keep everything online. It helps with the students schedule. If you want them to see someone give a speech, film it. Give them a link off of youtube. Chances are someone else has already thought of this and created what you need. You just need to find it online.

4. profile image47
    pmpaustraliaposted 6 years ago

I think it requires a lot of discipline on the part of the teachers and the students to make a go of it. The courses need to have different modes of delivery like audio or visual etc.

5. profile image0
    Starmom41posted 5 years ago

I'm not sure if this is the kind of feedback you're looking for, but two topics I encountered problems with:
    If the school or the USPS loses a student's mail-in project, the student should not be penalized for it--  if the student must redo a lost project, he/she should be granted the time and materials to do it, without being charged extra (such as late fees);
    Second, it is up to the school to make sure they are accurate when they post grades, etc., on the student's online account page.

6. Kelly Underwood profile image56
    Kelly Underwoodposted 5 years ago

online bachelor degree programs can be more effective if teachers will provide high end subject material. Meaning they need to give students what their course really requires.