Distance education!

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (20 posts)
  1. Tammy-M profile image58
    Tammy-Mposted 16 years ago

Why is online/distance education on the rise? What makes it so appealing? How many of you have experienced online learning? Share info!!

1. guidebaba profile image58
      guidebabaposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Mostly working people ,like me, who have lack of time go for distance education.

2. tcnixon profile image65
    tcnixonposted 16 years ago

It is on the rise for a few main reasons:

1. There is a lot of convenience. You can complete courses at any time of the day or night.

2. If there is no local program that you are interested in (or no local program at all), you do not have to move to go to school.

3. Some of those programs have easier admission processes.

Certainly cost is not a factor. Quite often the programs are more expensive than traditional programs.

Tom Nixon

1. joe strummer profile image60
      joe strummerposted 16 years agoin reply to this

t beside the reasons mentioned by tom nixon,i´d like to mention a couple more

-the raise of web 2.0. and the new eLearning sites
      -the many free of charge sites and content sharing paltforms
      -the option for users to become teachers and earn money in the process is also a good motivation,

i wrote a hub about this issue  a  couple of days ago, focused on language learning using web 2.0.

3. JYOTI KOTHARI profile image59
    JYOTI KOTHARIposted 16 years ago

1. Variety of programme
    2. Flexibility
    3.Cost effective
    4.User friendly
    5.Availability of Quality programme
    6.Outsourcing
    7.Connectivity

1. tcnixon profile image65
      tcnixonposted 16 years agoin reply to this

I agree with all of these except for cost effective. Most of these programs are treated as cash cows, particularly for schools that have both residential and online programs. Instead of being less expensive, often these are more expensive than traditional programs.

I think, though, your number five hits it for a lot of people. Instead of choosing a major based on what your local college offers, you can go out into the world - via the Internet - and choose what your heart truly desires.

Tom

4. patnamohan profile image59
    patnamohanposted 16 years ago

It helps to continue education & enhance skill even after you are in job.

5. Tammy-M profile image58

i would have to agree here that not all programs and colleges are cost-effective. there are definately some universities out there charge far more for online courses. but then the availability of a vast number of subjects to choose from, and study from the comfort of your home surely makes it up for everything!!

but then, everything has its negative points ryte? what do you guys think they are?

Certainly there are some negatives. The drop-out rate for these programs is non inconsequential. Why? I don't really know for sure, but certainly not having someone closely monitoring your education could have something to do with it.

It's rather funny. There are people who choose distance learning because they think it will be easier when most often it is the exact opposite.

6. Hope Wilbanks profile image68
    Hope Wilbanksposted 16 years ago

I recently returned to college, to earn my degree totally online. So for me, it's...

1) Convenience
    2) Flexibility
    3) Speed and ease of use

7. Tammy-M profile image58

its true people think studying online is all fun and games... but in all actuality i believe its harder than studying in a classroom. and i suppose your ryte about the drop out rate thing..but dont universities promose individual attention to all online students?

8. thranax profile image71
    thranaxposted 16 years ago

Some people don't think online learning works. I don't know if it does or not, basically the thing people think about is anyone can "cheat" and just Google every answer to every question the site asks. I don't personally know but thats what I'm sure the norm is for thinking about online learning.

1. guidebaba profile image58
      guidebabaposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Correct. Because online learning gives no practical experience. Online Education is given least preference when it comes to getting a Job.

9. nikkiu profile image60
    nikkiuposted 16 years ago

Online learning should be part and parcel of the holistic learning experience. The web is a great source of information but learning in this way can require great self discipline. It can also be an isolating experience as no amount of online chat can match the buzz one gets from being in the company of positive like minded people.

That self discipline is key. The drop-out rate for online programs is significant. While in a traditional school, you are pushed along by class times and by professors, online it becomes much more about you.

10. Tammy-M profile image58

and what do you ppl htink of the free online courses being offered by MIT and some other universities? what good are they?

They are good for personal learning. They might be good for helping you gain a better understanding of certain subjects that you are currently taking.

That being said, there is no academic credit involved. Yes, you can learn. No, you cannot apply it toward a degree.

11. WeddingConsultant profile image67
    WeddingConsultantposted 16 years ago

Self-discipline IS key in online education. I'm taking classes online right now and they're quite challenging, but the biggest thing is budgeting time and energy.

I suspect, though, that the issues are different with my degree vs. an undergraduate degree. Undergrad distance education is much different, for the most part, than a graduate or post graduate degree.

Different challenges, different respect levels (in some cases), different workloads, different prices. It's a whole different animal, in my opinion.

12. crashcromwell profile image68
    crashcromwellposted 16 years ago

I have to weigh in here and plug my employer. I have recently started teaching for the University of Phoenix online, in the Axia College. I have two classes, and most of the students are non-traditional, in the sense that they've been out of high school for a while and are going back to earn their degree. I find teaching for the University of Phoenix to be highly enjoyable, because the attitude there is so pro-active and student-centered. Even my students who are struggling with the new technology are taking responsibility for late assignments. I wish my face-to-face students had been so forthcoming.

Online education is great for the students because they can access education from the comfort of their home. It's great for young parents who traditionally have been locked out of higher education while raising children. It's also great for the faculty - I get to teach my classes in my shorts! I could never do that when I taught in a traditional classroom.

I am so pleased by the product this University offers that I am actually considering taking Ph. D. classes there, once I've been in the system long enough to take classes at a reduced cost.

13. Tammy-M profile image58

awesome! UoP is at times considred a fake degree mill.. maybe Crash can clear that out for us smile are students given the same attention as on-campus students? how true is this s tatement?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)