jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

What should be some required readings for high schools?

1. cydro profile image88
    cydroposted 6 years ago

What should be some required readings for high schools?

Besides my writings. (Just kidding)

2. edutrader profile image60
    edutraderposted 6 years ago

The reading lists vary from school system to school system.  If you don't want to get the reading lists from the English teacher, I would suggest that you google an excellent article called- "How to Plan Out Your Summer Reading List" on About.com.  She gives some great ideas on books.

3. Majesty_James profile image57
    Majesty_Jamesposted 6 years ago

I think works by these authors should be read, especially when tied into American History, Politics, and Culture:
    1. Nathaniel Hawthorne
    2. Phillis Wheatly
    3. Frederick Douglass
    4. Kate Chopin
    5. Mark Twain (Huckleberry Finn more so than Tom Sawyer
    6. Dolores Kearns Goodwin (Presidential Historian)
    7. Richard Wright
    8. Langston Hughes
    9. Kurt Vonnegut
    10. Lucille Clifton
    11. Harper Lee
    12. Truman Capote
    13. John Updike
    ....just to name a few.

4. ICITMYWAY profile image57
    ICITMYWAYposted 6 years ago

I feel that current readings in High School are pointless.
    Yes Shakespeare was a great writer and yes those things are important but they do not help us become better readers or writers by reading them. They were written at a different time and do not really help.
    Just a few of my opinions are:
    Uncle Toms Cabin
    The Great Gatsby
    I actually feel that if you have a list of books and let the class or specific students vote for what they want to read, then you will get a better result of kids reading and comprehending

5. tfrickey profile image60
    tfrickeyposted 6 years ago

All schools and teachers have their own preferred or required reading lists.  Many are the classics: Hawthorne, Steinbeck, Miller, Salinger, Hemingway, Shakespeare, etc. 

It also depends on the class; some AP classes will require non-fiction and current events, while other classes will require literature from various time periods.

working