What are the different types of psychotherapy?

1. stanwshura profile image74
    stanwshuraposted 6 years ago

What are the different types of psychotherapy?

Hey - I see those eyes narrowing! wink  Seriously - what are the specific approaches used by psychiatrists, psychologists, social workers, counselors, even educational therapists - to address mental health/learning/neuropsych issues. 

I'm especially interested in those that address the relatively common phenomenon of a learning disability AND a comorbid mental health/affective/anxiety disorder.

2. Naomi's Banner profile image79
    Naomi's Bannerposted 6 years ago

There really are quite a few different types and I am sure I don't know near all of them but I can tell you of the ones I know about.
    Theraplay will address the anxiety disorder in helping to regulate the person's emotional part of the brain.  The person needs to feel worthy of care in order to cooperate and heal.  This is where theaplay does it's best work.
    Dr. Perry Model is a good one to follow where you work on activities geared for developing the brain from the earliest development on.  You can begin with repeated repettitive activities that encourage the core development of the brain and move on into more cognitive activities as the child becomes emotionally regulated and gains the ability to regulate themselves.

3. stanwshura profile image74
    stanwshuraposted 6 years ago

Thank you, Naomi.  Now I'm really glad I asked!  I didn't expect such a nuanced answer.   I was actually expecting a list that included those therapies whose pioneers are surveyed in many or most Psych101 courses - you know:  Freud, Skinner, Pavlov, Piaget...CBT, psychoanalysis, maybe ERP (exposure and response prevention, which is one approach to address OCD).

I am hoping for some responses of that nature, but you've broadened and awakened my scope considerably!

Thank you very much for your answer.

working