jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Does it smell bad on the International Space Station?

1. Simone Smith profile image94
    Simone Smithposted 6 years ago

Does it smell bad on the International Space Station?

Obviously everyone is working together in close quarters and there is not much fresh air, plus human waste isn't exactly GOING anywhere.  Does it smell really bad as a result, or have the designers of the space station taken special precautions to reduce unpleasant odors?

2. davenmidtown profile image88
    davenmidtownposted 6 years ago

I am sure they  have ample air filters that probably recycle oxygen.  That process probably removes odors, etc.  It is probably colder then we think it would up there too so odors may not be as prevalent.

3. sushantkshr profile image73
    sushantkshrposted 6 years ago

big_smile nice equestion.
    BTW......for human waste management the loo is fitted with a vaccum.which means "everything"(yes everything) that comes out of the astronauts' "posterior end" is sucked in the vacuum-shit-pot....that means no gases at least....dunno about other things.....

4. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image98
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 6 years ago

Frontier persons of every age have had to sacrifice hygiene for the greater good of all humanity.  I almost get teary eyed when I think about it. . . .

5. Cyndi10 profile image87
    Cyndi10posted 6 years ago

I would like to think NASA addressed the problem of smells in tight quarters. The other thing to remember is that people get used to a smell over time and they don't have much company to worry about impressing...