jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Will NASA ever build a wagon wheel type space station?

1. ttagpine profile image79
    ttagpineposted 6 years ago

Will NASA ever build a wagon wheel type space station?

Like the ones in any run of the mill Sy-Fi movie? The kind that creates artificial gravity by spinning like a top?

2. prasadjain profile image72
    prasadjainposted 6 years ago

Yes,it can,surely!
    It has best brains in the world. It pays them well. Only thing is-it must find its utility.Then it takes up the project and fulfill it. It may fail in its initial attempts,as naturally happens in all scientific efforts

3. Jlbowden profile image92
    Jlbowdenposted 6 years ago

I would have to say yes to that, based on the modern technology that we do have at our disposal today. And besides some NASA engineer is going to get this idea, if they haven't already, from some far fetched sci fy movie.

JL

4. point2make profile image80
    point2makeposted 6 years ago

That type of space station is the most familiar to every fan of sci-fi, however, there are a few problems.

We do not have a heavy lift vehicle, at this time, to ship the components into orbit. The second problem is a large circular space station has to be constructed in space and we do not have the technology today to attempt such a task. While the robot arm on the the space station and the shuttle can do some lifting and construction the technology  required to construct a wheeled space station is not in existence or even on the drawing board.

As an engineering exercise these technological shortfalls  are certainly doable given time and money but in practically they probably never will be. A large wheeled space station, with all the infrastructure that would be required, probably would cost in the order of several "trillion" dollars and no nation or group of nations could afford such an undertaking.

5. lone77star profile image84
    lone77starposted 6 years ago

I certainly hope so.

Perhaps a spinning wheel isn't conducive to scientific research, but scientists could use the "hub" (no pun intended), while tourists and staff quarters could remain in the artificial gravity of the wheel. I like it!

I would hope they put it above all the space garbage so that it remains safe and doesn't have such a short lifespan from orbital decay.

6. ShootersCenter profile image72
    ShootersCenterposted 6 years ago

Obama shut  the space program down, no funding so no space station.

working