Multi-verses: what are these, including our universe, expanding or sitting in?

1. tshivley profile image59
    tshivleyposted 6 years ago

Multi-verses: what are these, including our universe, expanding or sitting in?

Even if ours is the only verse, it has to be expanding in something. If there are multi-verses, they must be sitting in something, some space our plane. So what would it be?

2. Jonesy0311 profile image62
    Jonesy0311posted 6 years ago

I have read all of Stephen Hawkings books and sadly, I still have no concept of the multi-verse theory. String (M) Theory says that the entire universe may be on a single membrane or plane that is stretched. I suppose this would constitute the fabric of space-time as proposed by Einstein. The other "verses" would then be other membranes and it is believed that when they impact each other a Big Bang could occur and create another one. At least, that's how I understand it. As for what container this is all happening in...I have no idea. It brings us back to the question of "what is nothing?"

3. tshivley profile image59
    tshivleyposted 6 years ago

It seems almost irrelevant in the greater scheme of things, now that people are hoping that the Higgs particle will explain almost everything.  I almost hope that they will find it...but I also wonder if what they find will answer their questions, or just frustrate them rocking their current paradigm, which is still shaking from the quantum theories that barely anyone truly grasps and understands.  One day...hopefully before it no longer matters.

working