jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Are there any physicists on HubPages? Studying to become a physicist? Reaction t

1. kripkrip420 profile image60
    kripkrip420posted 6 years ago

Are there any physicists on HubPages? Studying to become a physicist? Reaction to neutrino findings?

Any physicists on HubPages? I would really like to get to know all of you and learn from you. Anyone that is studying to become a physicist, please feel free to follow (add me) me. I will follow you as well. Live to learn. Learn to live.

2. TotallyDakota profile image55
    TotallyDakotaposted 6 years ago

I studied a little physics. My reaction to the neutrino stuff seems to have been pretty much the same as the guys at CERN - that it is probably a broken experiment! Way to early to start jumping to any conclusions.

3. topquark profile image77
    topquarkposted 6 years ago

I have a degree in physics and have some postgraduate experience in particle physics theory research. My instinct is that the neutrino measurement is a mistake, probably due to the researchers underestimating their error bounds, which can result in an unexpected result appearing significant when it's really not. It would be exciting if it was a real result though.

4. Manna in the wild profile image70
    Manna in the wildposted 6 years ago

From slashdot today "It would appear that the hotly debated faster-than-light neutrino observation at CERN is the result of a fault in the connection between a GPS unit and a computer. This connection was used to correct for time delays in the neutrino flight, and after fixing the correction the researchers have found that the time discrepancy appears to have vanished."